Dendroboard banner

Inbreeding Opinions

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Smashtoad 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, the three frogs below are siblings I have been raising for over two years. They all eat great, but two are messed up, one with a giant goiter (it is now larger than pictured), and one with some kind of scoliotic ailment. The breeder points to my feeding regimen, but I'm not convinced. What do you guys think?

This is the one I'm selling. Any opinions on sex?

Scolio

Goito

See less See more
#4 ·
I also acquired a group of Yellow P. terribilis and have one with a deformed spine. My understanding is that good parental nutrition is key to making normal froglets.

Richard.

#5 · (Edited)
As documented in fish, scoliosis is sometimes indicative of individuals raised with a latent infection from mycobacterium. The goiter may be internal infection from this as well. Also, the lack of healthy pigmentation in the second individual could suggest infection as well, either from a parasite or also a result of bacterium/viruses.

I'm not a vet, I can only guess, so a vet trip may be warranted to avoid improper treatment of this condition.

I'd also consider waiting on selling until you can rule these things out.

#6 ·
The scoliosis will be treated with a trip to the freezer, unfortunately, and for a frog with a potential infection, the guy with the goiter sure eats like a hog.

There are those that will spend hundreds of dollars trying to investigate or treat illness in their animals. I am not one of those people. When I buy cb animals, I expect good stock. The goiter possibly could have resulted from a cricket leg spine injury or something, but the gimpy guy...I have a hard time believing something I did caused this.

It's just very disappointing.

#16 ·
Many infected animals eat voraciously, this is not a sign that it is benign.
If you do not find out what is causing the illness, it may spread to future inhabitants of the tank. If you choose not to get a diagnosis, it might be safest to assume mycobacterium and tear down and disinfect the entire tank, which may be more costly than a hundred or two to find out what is wrong.

If you have not had fecals run on your animals, do this before you put them down. Do a skin swab culture as well. This is very doable and preferable to a full tear-down.

#8 ·
I think there may be a better way to put down a frog than the freezer.
Sorry to here about your terrible. I feed mine young crickets as well and never considered they can be injured by a leg spine.
A little anbesol to the back and once they fall asleep then freezer this way they are unconscious first.

#9 ·
Or oragel... The frog should be fully anesthetized and unresponsive before being placed in the freezer as otherwise it may feel pain as it slowly freezes. Freezing without anesthesia is not considered painless or humane anymore.

Ed

#11 ·
Technically it isn't humane for any vertebrate to be frozen, it can be done with fish and amphibians provided that they are totally anesthetized and are not a species that can survive freezing, thier eggs can be frozen provided they are not in later stages of development. If the embryos are well developed then immersion in alcohol is considered humane.

It is not humane for reptiles to be frozen unless they are eggs in the early stages of development.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.