Dendroboard banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
If someone can present some hard evidence here in amphibians, I'll be happy to join the discussion again. Until then, be kind to each other.
As I've already said, the complexity of this topic is vexing for me and leaves me uneasy because it's right at the limits of my knowledge of the hobby, and bears much more research before I can say anything with confidence.

That being said, if you're interested in spending some time, I'd recommend doing an Advanced Search on this forum with the terms 'inbreeding' under User: Ed ... not because I think Mr. Kowalski is a deity, but because his posts tend to include citations and links to papers, so they're a very good start. Those links may be outdated, but it could nonetheless point you in the right directions on Google Scholar.

·
Registered
728 Posts
One of the best posts I have read is from Ed. Page 2, about half way down. Part 1 and Part 2.

It is a bit cynical, but in the end, he makes the statement that inbreeding is more preferable to outbreeding depression. You can read it yourself here:

Cross breeding

Again, nobody is ignoring that inbreeding can cause negative impact to the gene pools, but it isn't black and white.

·
Registered
323 Posts
One of the best posts I have read is from Ed. Page 2, about half way down. Part 1 and Part 2.

It is a bit cynical, but in the end, he makes the statement that inbreeding is more preferable to outbreeding depression. You can read it yourself here:

Cross breeding

Again, nobody is ignoring that inbreeding can cause negative impact to the gene pools, but it isn't black and white.
Thanks for find that Chris. This is a good discussion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi everyone,

Sorry to bring this back to life, but I am going to order from different sources just to be careful.

I found a breeder that has one available and they said it is nearly adult. They do not know the EOW date, but would it be bad to get this frog and purchase other froglets that are younger? Would they get along, or would the older frog outcompete the younger frogs for food?

Or should I wait to see the sex of the frog and purchase one of the opposite?

Thanks,
Ricky

·
Registered
728 Posts
As long as they are full grown, it should make no difference if they are a year or two years old. If any are significantly smaller, you can just quarantine them for a bit of fatten them up before introducing them. You may not be able to confirm the sex of the frog 100% on its own.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hi again everyone,

I just got the first frog and they look very healthy to me. This is incredible all the time in preparation was all worth it... Anyway, I tried feeding the frog some dusted FF before putting it into the enclosure, but it was not eating. However, I put it into the enclosure and it appears to be exploring the whole enclosure very quickly and eating springtails up along the way. I know people mentioned that this is not the best because they are not dusted, but should I add some dusted fruit flies and a banana slice to the front of the tank to get the frog used to feeding at this location?

Here is a quick photo of the froglet on the bromeliad taking a look at the next spot to hop to.

Thanks,
Ricky

21 - 26 of 26 Posts