Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, new to the board and to PSD. I have had great luck over the last 20 years with reptiles, fish and propagating coral. I have always admired dart frogs so I have been researching and finally took the plunge. I have a 18x18x24 zoo med viv. and have built my false bottom out of drainage pipe. I have ordered the rest of the substrate and odds and ends from Josh's frogs. My plan is to have the tank up and going in the next 2 weeks and then hopefully 6-8 weeks after get some frogs. I will takes photo's as I go to post for critiquing (tell me whats wrong I can take it) I have 2 issues now if someone could give me a hand.

I am in the process of building a tank and looking at different things to secure with, the one I cannot figure out is what brand of expanding foam, the searches got me nowhere except GF can anyone give a heads up of which one to use.

Lighting I really would like to use T5 but unable to find them in 18" to fit the top nicely, so next would be T8 or the exo terra top with 2 CF. opinions and reasons why one is better than the other would be great.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great stuff expanding foam is commonly used(I use the red container, it says gaps and cracks on the label), or a type made for ponds(usually black in color).

This is an example of one of the t-5 fixtures I have used, Nova Extreme T5 High Output X2 Lighting Fixtures . This site only has the saltwater version listed in 18", so you would need to swap out the Actinic bulb. Other retailers may offer the freshwater version.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I have the exact same ZooMed tank. I got the Zoo med light. It comfortably holds 2 CF bulbs, even the larger ones. I have 2 23W CF (100W equivalent) 6700k Daylight Bulbs in there and the plants are rockin'. My only gripe is that the moguls for the bulbs are in the center which makes the bulbs face the side of the tank. I wish they would have had the moguls in the center.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi NewFrogger
I am also new poster to this board. Also getting back into PDF (tech had Mantella's - were cheaper and easier to get back in early 90's) As for ques to Post - I also decided on 18x18x24 Exo Terra - for lighting i am going to try out the marineland LED unit. Its light weight, runs cool and doesnt need replacement for 3-4 years. Experiment from my perspective but willing to try it out.

I used the Great Stuff foam (wide gap) in off-white color. Worked fine, very strong and dries quick. Worst part of job is coating w silicon and applying the coconut fiber.

I am planning to cut some glass for the top.

Look fwd keeping up w your progress

Regards
Scott

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I am planning to cut some glass for the top.

Regards
Scott
Lowes was great for this for me. There was a sheet size that was just perfect to cut a 16.5 x 16.5 inch for my 18x18 footprint and 2 10.5 by 10.5 for my 12x12 footprint. They even cut it for free. Cost around $10 with tax.

I wrapped the edges with black electrical tape, matches perfectly to the tops and eliminates the sharp edges. I've just been sliding the tops forward a little to allow for a tiny bit of ventilation. I'm playing with the positioning to figure out the perfect amount to keep temps down but humidity up.

Doug

·
Registered
45 Posts
Your story is the same as mine :) I just set up a zoomed 18.18.24 a little over 2 weeks ago after years of corals, clams, green tree pythons, etc...

This is a great place for a lot of good advise!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Nova extreme look good just hard to find replacemnt bulbs. I will be getting the foam and GG tomorrow and also fitting a glass lid. I miss the reef tank but I dont miss the water changes or the cost. I will put some photo's up once I get more of it built, no need in putting up a bare zoomed tank with stuff laying in it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Recieved my items from joshs frog and Vivarium concepts, everything was perfect. Ordered the Mist King today. False bottom is sized and built waiting to silicon in. PVC is cut for waterfall, drainage and wires. One trip to lowes for some foam and little potting cups and this weekend I should be able to build it all.

Still debating on the lights, the link for the T5 above is what I want but replacement bulds are hard to come by, the exoterra I can pick up at petsmart and bulbs are avaible. still debating.

I guess I will order plants, flies and sprintails when the tank is sealed and running, then the wait for the frogs....man I am excited!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.