Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like this thread to be a place where we can link to videos and pictures of Dendrobatids in their natural habitat.

The more we study the environments to which our frogs are adapted, and their behaviors in those environments, the more able we are to provide those conditions in captivity.

Please feel free to contribute! Let's limit this to video and pictures of dart frogs in wild habitat only. If you can, please write a bit about the video or picture, and point out interesting features of the habitats shown.

I'll start things off with a couple posts following this one to illustrate what I had in mind.

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This video’s title claims this to be Ranitomeya cf. flavovittata, but it clearly isn’t that (at least until 1:53; that frog looks more like flavovittata to me, but I’m not a good judge). The description says R. amazonica, which may be true.

I notice that the frogs are never filmed on the ground.

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Neat older video of Dendrobates leucomelas in Venezuela. I’d like to see frogs in the grassland that is shown at 2:15; I’ve read that leucs can be found in that environment, but I haven’t seen pictures of it.

The imbedded video doesn't seem to be playing. Try this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq_5uRliagY

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dendrobates auratus (Pena Blanca?) in situ, precise location unknown. I love the forest floor in this video, really shows how much leaf litter there is.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWLYa5ylJXb/?igshid=sbpq9zh4dtsw

I'd have a bunch of in situ photos of darts but they're pretty much all close ups, they don't show very well the surroundings, so to not end off topic won't link them.

Ps: Fantastic idea Socratic.

Edit: https://www.instagram.com/p/B0oiC7kjXzE/?igshid=1sw1qmvl5pxwf

Wanted to include this pic here of oophaga pumilio, located in Bocas del Toro.

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd have a bunch of in situ photos of darts but they're pretty much all close ups, they don't show very well the surroundings, so to not end off topic won't link them.
I think there are things to be learned from looking only at wild frogs, too -- coloration, body conformation (weight, especially)... If you think there are relevant aspects to the photos, please do link them here and point out what you find interesting or think we might learn from them.

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That bottom frog is obese. Nature shouldn't be feeding so much. ;)

Do you know the species/locale on these, Tijl? I don't recognize these frogs at all.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think there are things to be learned from looking only at wild frogs, too -- coloration, body conformation (weight, especially)... If you think there are relevant aspects to the photos, please do link them here and point out what you find interesting or think we might learn from them.
Will do!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzMAlUTHft_/?igshid=gh68vixf872
I find the colors on this one amazing, especially that white collar and upper arm. Since you mentioned it, I don't think I've seen photos of wild skinny darts. Pretty much all wild darts I saw were very chubby!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk3gNJnnHLy/?igshid=suwkjjwam9vu
Even though this is not a conventional dart I find the color of those legs incredible.

Tilj that frog on the bottom photo looks almost fake. I wouldn't want to mess with that if I was looking for a meal in the forest.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
In the above post :

1st pic : Sylvatica in Colombia
2nd : unknown, Ecudaor

Got some more nice pictures :

Colombian sylvatica (similiar to the one in the previous post)

Colombian Sylvatica :

Look at the silver Hitstrionica ;)

mafiawy

All the pictures are not mine, but got shared by other frog enthousiasts. I just wanted to share them since you don't see these every day ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Banned
929 Posts
I enjoyed this thread. For me, seeing the frogs foraging up the vertical stands, and the readiness to utilize open spaces was a good thing.

Vertical Stands strategy is a nice way to enlarge locomotive style, scope. Perhaps with the occasional application of a feeding station for encouragement, and some mindfulness to segway feature and plant 'net' to diminish risk in its encounter, being a constant in a closed system. For instance, a Vertical Stand trunk feature would be incompatible with lava rock or other severe hardscape being a dominant motif.

I like in situ vids and images, to scan spatial realities, cover, open areas, in a representational (albeit limited sample) kind of blue print, and try to distill it to approach realistic scale. More so than duplicate actual plant species.

Perhaps naturalistic can also mean the Enabling of as many locomotive actions and repose positions as possible, making the most out of the space we have to work with.

I hope more is posted!

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, this one is a little different. Dav Kaufman (like Steve Irwin, with less bravado and more science) in Madre Selva Reserve, Peru. The best dart frogs are from Peru. :)

Great and varied habitat shots throughout, though I notice that the Dendrobatids seem to be shown in the drier areas only. Love the buttress roots at about 3:00 - 3:15. Only a couple darts in this one (Ranitomeya uakari, Allobates femoralis), but lots of other frog genera including Rhinella, Osteocephalus, Dendropsophus, Hypsiboas, Cruziohyla, and Sphaenorhynchus.

·
Registered
238 Posts
This is a little off-topic, but if you want to see some of the best habitat videos including a lot of detail on the flora, you have to check out Crime Pays but Botany Doesn't...

He hasn't gone to any dendrobatid habitats yet, but will probably get there at some point. He's currently in Chile.
I love Tony! Best botany channel on the tube.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Oophaga Histrionica Bullseye in situ Colombian Chocó :

Picture is not mine*

Reactions: Fahad

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
1 - 20 of 89 Posts