Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whelp, I have learned the value of sitting quietly and contemplating the tank before making a move. I had just small chunks of time to work on it, so I felt that I HAD TO get something done each time. But when I actually sat and just looked and thought about what I was doing, I ended up being MORE efficient, because I knew exactly what the plan was. Here’s what I’ve got so far! This is for a single Tinc. I am very open to comments, please do let me know if I did something egregiously wrong. I did use aquarium safe silicone for all attachment. I did fill the voids behind the logs with a dab of great stuff, but it represents less than 3% of the total background. I don’t plan on putting frogs in for at least 4-6 months
Wood Plant Art Twig Tree

Plant Botany Branch Twig Wood

Rectangle Fixture Gas Glass Wood

I will be putting LECA on the sides and front to hide the false bottom. My door is arriving on Tuesday and then I will add the substrate (a nice organic soil mix with peat moss topped with sterilized oak leaves) then siliconing in the branch. I’m thinking of a large orchid and bromeliad on the floor, then tons of vining plants cascading down from the back. Thanks for all the info you all have put out, it really helped me avoid some of the beginner pitfalls.

·
Administrator
4,336 Posts
then I will add the substrate (a nice organic soil mix with peat moss topped with sterilized oak leaves)
I would HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend using a premade ABG substrate. Making your own substrate is one of the big beginner pitfalls.

I’ll be adding this LED flood to the front to punch the light down to the bottom. It’ll be in a wire housing to help vent heat. View attachment 308770
That's far more light than I would use. I use a single nicrew SkyLED light for my 36x18x36" terribilis tank and it lights things up the way I want. Shadows / dim lighting are a benefit IMO

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great point. As soon as I posted that I started looking into some smart LED floods and think those might be the best option for me, since I can schedule a color temp and brightness cycle in the app, while keeping heat down.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It’s a good thing you didn’t already silicon in the grape wood, it’s notorious for quickly breaking down in viv conditions.

I see the cut out section of egg crate in the front right, are you planning on putting a pond? If so, either keep the water low or fill it up, just so the frog doesnt run into any issues.

One last thing, I see the pvc pipe in the pond that I’m guessing will be used for siphoning out water. It’s so much easier to drill a hole and put a bulkhead in, it sounds intimidating but drilling is your friend here. Tanks looking good so far

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! Nope, no ponds at all. I’m just going to fill that space with LECA. I understand that a bulkhead is often used, but I’ve had my other viv for 6 months now, kept at 70-85% humidity and have never had to siphon water out. This reading is from a calibrated, accurate hygrometer. I have a ton of ventilation so I mist often, but water has never accumulated in the false bottom. Hence, I chose to go with the materials I already had, ie PVC rather than buying a glass drill bit and risking my tank because of my inexperience with drilling. I’m looking forward to seeing how long the grape wood lasts, and I’ll replace it with another, harder wood when the time comes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After serious consideration, I decided to go with a clay substrate. I am a potter so have access to literally tons of clay, so I followed the recipe and got to work! I decided that based on the substrate, I only wanted epiphytic plants, so I added a catteyla, a vanda, a phalaenopsis and a dendrobium. I carefully processed every single plant to make sure to avoid any surprises. I also have two bromeliad pups, some pothos and some Hoya wayetii mounted to the cork on the back. It will grow up eventually, but I broke my own epiphytic rule and added a creeping fig that will slowly grow up the back between the tree trunks. The bottom is finished off with some autoclaved leaf litter. For a first build, I’m very happy. Is there anything I missed?
The light is actually a smart GE Cync flood light. I have it programmed to be a warm light in the morning, transitioning to the bright daylight by 10, then warming back up at 7 pm and slowly dimming to darkness by 8 pm. It’s cool to the touch, even when very bright and running for a few hours. We’ll see how it does but I am really pleased with the quality of the light so far.
Plant Leaf Botany Terrestrial plant Vegetation
Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Pet supply Vegetation

Plant Terrestrial plant Vegetation Trunk Flowering plant

Plant Botany Terrestrial plant Trunk Flowering plant

1 - 7 of 7 Posts