Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I still smell fumes in my viv from silicone. I just added my custom conversion kit, with no ventilation. Can plants take care of the fumes? Also, will maple leaves work as leaf litter? All of your imput is greatly appreciated. -johny

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello-

I have basically the same problem. I set up a 10g and made a type of stream thing running along the length which required the use of a lot of GE silicone II and after I let it cure and started pumping the water through it I noticed a strong "silicone Curing" smell. I assumed it would go away but it has been there now for about a month ha.

It is planted and they seem to be fine but the smell really hasn't gone away. In the past week it has lessened considerably for some reason but is still there. My only thought is that the plants are getting rid of it but its taking a while and who knows if its good for them ha.

luckily I havent put frogs in it but I am wondering myself.

Hope that help and hope to hear more form others.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Maple leaves are fine. They just break down pretty quickly.

Open the door to the viv to let the silicone cure and air it out. Don't add frogs until that smell is long gone.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would just let it sit with lid open and light breeze on it for a few days.

I let my viv sit in the garage for a 3 days after finishing GS foam and silicon - coco backing. Even after putting it in the house (with out plants, just getting stand etc in place ) I could still smell tiny hint. Once it was gone I put some plants, leaf litter and soil . Then after few days of spraying and running water feature i started to trickle in spring tails. I didnt want to risk fumes of any kind causing issues, also wanted to see my tank w water to confirm NO leaks : )

I prob adjusted the plants etc few times before I felt it was ok.

my second and third viv builds are going really slow... prob 2-3 months before they are ready...

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright. I took my plants out and put them in my well established grow tank with high output T5's and tomorrow i'll pop it outside where it wont get wet (it's been raining everyday here for the past month). The bg is a bit wet from misting, but I hope it'll dry out. I thought everything was fine and I test my humidity by taking a good whif of the air, and smelled all that nasty silicone. I'll let it air out for 2-3 days, and put everything back. Hope my plants aren't pissed from the move, but they are in a good place for now. How do I keep my glass lid open? it's a cutom door and on its back it's closed. It's only open if I put it upright but it might get wet. Oh I wish I had a garage! lol. Thanks for telling me maple is ok, we have TONS of it here, I couldn't find any oak so used this. They're fresh leaves (still green). How long does it take to dry? TY!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
When letting my tank dry I stick my head periodicaly in deep in the tank and take a good whif. When I don't smell even the faintest hint of silicone I let it dry for two more days before adding plants. Usually takes me 14+ days....

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
When letting my tank dry I stick my head periodicaly in deep in the tank and take a good whif. When I don't smell even the faintest hint of silicone I let it dry for two more days before adding plants. Usually takes me 14+ days....
good to know. I just used silicone and i will test its watertightness in a couple days. And do the sniff test and let it cure as long as it takes.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Silly me. After reading the title of the thread I thought you had created a zombie super frog species that was threatening to take over the world.

If u can't tell I hate ambiguous thread titles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts