Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I bet i'm not the only one wondering, but I have some potted plants coming in the mail. 2 of which come in pots. Those being a fern and a ficus repens. How do I plant them! I have like 2 inches of substrate and the pots are 4 inches across and 4 inches deep. I have no idea how i'm supposed to plant them. Do I take cutting or just wash away the soil and cut the roots down? Thanks!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I ust wash off the soil and plant the root ball. I've only been frogging for a year now but I've done this with at least 10 plants (including a fern) now and have been successful :)

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm getting Ficus repens "Creeping Fig", Neoregelia 'Fireball', Assorted Bromeliads, Philodendron scandens, and Aparagus setaceus to start off with. Getting from Jungle box since they had best deals. I changed my order so now the ficus, philodendron, and aparagus are all in 4 inch pots. I'll try washing all the dirt off and planting them but if that fails i'll try to take cuttings. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Wash away as much of the soil as you possibly can. This is often where snails come from. Snails eat eggs and plants. After washing the soil out, do a 10 minute soak in a 5 percent bleach solution (one cup household bleach to 19 cups of room temp water) Rinse VERY well. Plant the root ball.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts