Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone here ordered from Asiatic Green. very cool list of plants that i want. im not familiar with obtaining an import permit for plants. is there alot involved with doing that? if anyone else is interested and going to be bringing plants into the country i would love to get in on it. just the cool aroids, ferns, and palms would be enough to fill and order and that doesnt even touch the orchid, hoyas, and gingers. love to hear from someone who knows how to do this. thanks,steve

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
They have a number of things that I'm interested in too. If you make any headway with this and if it might interest you I might be interested to split an order to save on the shipping + documentation costs.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am in wisconsin, they are in singapore. ive never tried to get plants in from another country so i have no idea on what is involved but am willing to give it a try if it is feasible.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Unlike ecuagenera these guys don't often show up to do shows in the USA So there's a lot more in the way of paperwork to ensure CITES and other proper paperwork are filed correctly. But i understand the allure of the rare plant!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Sorry OP to diverge but you remind me...does anybody know of any opportunities any time soon for Ecuagenera stuff? Do they have anybody in the US who distributes for them at all?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
i am in wisconsin, they are in singapore. ive never tried to get plants in from another country so i have no idea on what is involved but am willing to give it a try if it is feasible.
You'll need an importer's permit and will have to pay for a phytosanitary certificate and arrange for the plants to go through customs and to be inspected... This is the link to most of the information that you will need USDA - APHIS - Plant Import Information

Ed

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Sorry OP to diverge but you remind me...does anybody know of any opportunities any time soon for Ecuagenera stuff? Do they have anybody in the US who distributes for them at all?
If you check thier site, they are doing the shows again and vending at them. So you can see if they will be near you or you can have them ship it to you when they replenish thier stock. I know they are going to be in NJ in Feb and PA in March...

Ed

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
There's not a whole lot of orchids ecuagenera has that andys doesn't. If it's not listed... Just call them

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
For anyone one interested in Asiatic Green... All I will say is that research pays off. Research this seller as you would anyone...

There are rarely plants you see online in Asia that you can't find here with enough digging. Not everything is at a store or online shop. :)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
again thanks for all the imput here. ive read enought that i wouldnt buy without seeing them here. btw im all for buying locally if possible. hint hint.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The permit itself is free and is good for about 5 years. Usually the money for the phyto is added to your shipping bill. As someone who has imported plants from China, Israel, Europe etc, I have never arranged for them to be inspected before. But not all plants are subject to postentry quarantine. Sometimes the packages are opened and looked at and customs is usually very good about packaging them back up. When you apply for your permit, you will be asked to list the plants you want to import, the countries of origin, what parts of the plants and intended use. For me it is usually temperate species from China but I might want to import something else so I listed those specifically but made sure that I mentioned there could be other plants in other countries in the future so I don't have to get another permit. I don't have much experience with cites but usually the nursery should take care of that too if they are reputable and this should be built in to the shipping and handling costs. Hope this is a help.
Jim

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks i may get myself a permit just incase i do decide to bring some stuff in from somewhere. again after reading a bunch of feedback on amos i think i will avoid his site even though some of the plants are things i havent seen listed anywhere else.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
thanks i may get myself a permit just incase i do decide to bring some stuff in from somewhere. again after reading a bunch of feedback on amos i think i will avoid his site even though some of the plants are things i havent seen listed anywhere else.
I don't know about the orchids but just about everything else he has can be found here. It will take a lot emails, driving and most significantly, waiting. Where there is a will... :)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I really would like to track down some of those dwarf Alocasia that they have, as well as some of the really small gingers on their list. They have some funny gesneriads too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts