Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Interesting site. Thanks for sharing.

I see there were still a lot of Pumilio imported last year. Looks close to 1200.

Those are the biggest concern for me. It's been like that for several years now.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I knew that quite a few of these species were imported. I just didn't realize that the number of individuals within those species were so high. Also the wording used to describe the source "Breeding, ranching or other source". What do they mean by "other source" ? In my opinion "Ranching" often means that the animals are collected out of the wild and placed in a holding facility that is called a "Ranch". This had been a problem with a number of herp species. Another word "Farmed" carries the same situation as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
The site is old and has been discussed in another thread. It has not been updated (2010 numbers) as it was created in response to the python issues (little girls death and invasive species in FL).

I have heard the rumor that Panama is shutting down commercial exports from a few reliable sources. Like I said a rumor. I was told the shipment this week was small, only around 25 mancreek plus Cauchero, El Dorado, and Cristobal.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
why do we still import x. laevis ? would you like a side of Bd with that order?

all dart #s seemed pretty small to me. even 1200 pumilio from, lets say, 10 locations in the last year is only 120 of each locale.

looks like the things that were imported most were whites, firebelly, dwarf clawed, and bullfrogs, not in that order

james

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I thought it was interesting that there were quite a few histos from Georgia and Germany within the last 3-4 years imported. I am also concerned with the number of pumilio being collected, but hopefully it is small enough to not cause problems.
Bryan

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
all dart #s seemed pretty small to me. even 1200 pumilio from, lets say, 10 locations in the last year is only 120 of each locale.

looks like the things that were imported most were whites, firebelly, dwarf clawed, and bullfrogs, not in that order

james
These are US numbers only, you are not seeing Asia or Europe import numbers. You are also comparing apples to oranges on the number of offspring when comparing White's, Firebelly, and the other species.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
why do we still import x. laevis ? would you like a side of Bd with that order?
Good question! Seems rather silly considering how easy it is to produce thousands of these with a bit of HCG.

In my lab, we produce thousands of eggs and tads on a weekly basis.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Human chorionic gonadotropin
Yes, I guess I should have provided a bit more detail in my post.

Ovulation is induced in Xenopus laevis by injection of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG). Pairs will produce eggs within 24 hours of injection.

In our lab we use Xenopus laevis in Frog Embryo Teratogenesis Assay-Xenopus (FETAX) and other toxicological exposures.

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
Yes, I guess I should have provided a bit more detail in my post.

Ovulation is induced in Xenopus laevis by injection of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG). Pairs will produce eggs within 24 hours of injection.

In our lab we use Xenopus laevis in Frog Embryo Teratogenesis Assay-Xenopus (FETAX) and other toxicological exposures.
That's what I thought you were referencing , but just struck me as strange that you were using it to induce egg-laying in ACF's

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
boy someone in baltimore must be one hell of a breeder to be able to import 105 galactonotus to the netherlands. considering brazil is closed and theres no ranching going on there.

and by breeder i mean smuggler.....

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
boy someone in baltimore must be one hell of a breeder to be able to import 105 galactonotus to the netherlands. considering brazil is closed and theres no ranching going on there.

I think its pretty obvious who that is. Importing 105 galacs from the Netherlands seems plausible. Why do you think there's smuggling involved?

·
Registered
166 Posts

I have personally supplied animals (cb) for these shipments. This person is not producing them all, rather gathering up for shipments through trades and the like.

It helps to know what you are talking about before speculating...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.