Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Keep an eye on the tadpole. If its belly runs out yolk completely, the chances are the father has forgotten about it and won't transport it. Not all imitator fathers are created equal.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I just realized that it still has external gills. So it has at least 2 days left, so disregard my last message.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I just saw your awesome blog site. You have a real design gift. I want to thank you for the Frogforum link too.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John, I didn't even realize till now that's your site! Great stuff! I want you to know I read it often to get recommendations on my next move. I just got the Varadero tads in the water about a week ago. Hey, how big are those cups you keep your tadpoles in?

Thanks all for the kind words. I saw the male in the container sleeping with the tadpoles. So he knows exactly where they are. These are his first eggs since I bought the Tarapoto.

Justin

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hi Justin, thanks for the kind words.

I used to use the 2 oz deli cups for thumbnail tads but now I mostly use 4 oz - a little more stability in the water quality if I skip a water change ;).

I didn't know Phil sold his own line of Varadero - I guess they're European?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ummm . . . well the guy I got them from got the parents from Phil Tan. Now the other half of the pair got their parents from Mark Pepper. Are these the same line? I have no idea. Maybe you know better than me. I just like to give full disclosure. They all look the same to me.

The Tarapoto are a different story. The copper ones I got from Phil Tan look totally different in body type from my melanistic from AAAFrogs and what I call golden (which I think you raised at some point) from Toxic Addiction. The golden ones are the breeding ones with the eggs in the pic. I'm told they really were picked up from different sites. But I'm not very savvy on all of this.

4 ounces. I'll remember. I was thinking of making pipes to keep them in with a central heated water system. But I'm guessing from your response I need a bigger diameter for the tads than 1"

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Too bad about the tads Justin - I'm sure the parents will get it sorted on the next round!

Great looking site, btw. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Another tad development container option that I have been using is test tubes. My male has been transporting tads to them and they can be easily removed from the terrarium and replaced for the next tad deposit. I've enjoyed watching the tads develop in them.
For whatever it's worth...

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. It's the whole breaking the yolk thing that worries me.

Here's a new development. You remember those other eggs in the film canister? They became tadpoles pretty fast. So here it is about 5 days after the last two died, and the father has already pulled one of the tads and is carrying it around on his back.

He's seem to have forgotten about the other tad. Should I try breaking him out, or just let the male figure out what he wants to do about it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts