Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well....it looks as though my imitators turned out to be 2.1 Sorry to you guys that had hoped I'd end up with an extra female. It turns out that the 2 younger (smaller) ones are males. They are 2 and 3 months old. I was watching them today and noticed the 2 males hanging around a canister (translucent green medicine bottle). The youngest of the 3 was on top of the canister and the other male was coming down the front of the glass...in the direction of his canister. He quickly ran off the smaller intruder and went inside of the canister and called 3 or 4 times at the opening. The smaller one fled the scene. About an hour after that incident, I noticed both males were on the side of the viv and the older male was about an inch away from the other and began closing in on him. He placed himself over top of the smaller guy and called once or twice...the smaller male wormed his way out from under him and lay flat against the glass in a submisive manner. Again, the older male approached him but the smaller male, moved in a way that I have never seen in any of the frogs I have kept. His body was pressed against the glass and he slowly 'wormed' away in a snake like motion. Though I've only seen the one male call, I am determined that they are both males judging by the behavior of their interaction. The larger one (5 months) is presumed female as the behavior between her and the identified male have been showing all the signs of a pair. I guess I'm going to have to keep a close eye on the 2 males and hopefully I'll have a female lined up for him soon. So far the fighting has been very subtle with very little physical fighting and all 3 of them are eating great and are FAT. If I see any problems, the smaller guy will be put into a 5-10 gallon viv until he can be paired off.

-Bill J

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Cool bill, sounds great. Mine do not fight, but then again if they are both males with no female around maybe they have no reason to.

BillJohnson said:
Well....it looks as though my imitators turned out to be 2.1 Sorry to you guys that had hoped I'd end up with an extra female. It turns out that the 2 younger (smaller) ones are males. They are 2 and 3 months old. I was watching them today and noticed the 2 males hanging around a canister (translucent green medicine bottle). The youngest of the 3 was on top of the canister and the other male was coming down the front of the glass...in the direction of his canister. He quickly ran off the smaller intruder and went inside of the canister and called 3 or 4 times at the opening. The smaller one fled the scene. About an hour after that incident, I noticed both males were on the side of the viv and the older male was about an inch away from the other and began closing in on him. He placed himself over top of the smaller guy and called once or twice...the smaller male wormed his way out from under him and lay flat against the glass in a submisive manner. Again, the older male approached him but the smaller male, moved in a way that I have never seen in any of the frogs I have kept. His body was pressed against the glass and he slowly 'wormed' away in a snake like motion. Though I've only seen the one male call, I am determined that they are both males judging by the behavior of their interaction. The larger one (5 months) is presumed female as the behavior between her and the identified male have been showing all the signs of a pair. I guess I'm going to have to keep a close eye on the 2 males and hopefully I'll have a female lined up for him soon. So far the fighting has been very subtle with very little physical fighting and all 3 of them are eating great and are FAT. If I see any problems, the smaller guy will be put into a 5-10 gallon viv until he can be paired off.

-Bill J

1 - 3 of 3 Posts