Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This last month my male imiator has stopped calling i think the others a female (see pics below) and he used to call at her but she wasn't intrested now he's given up? Any ideas? Humidity 80% -90%+ they are about 8 months now.

thanks

nick

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can’t really check the broms bit difficult to look into but only been in for a couple of months haven’t seen any courting, just not sure if the one in the pic is female. Would the male only call if she was a female?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
I'm not familiar with imitators so I couldn't really tell you - but with pumilio I noticed that if no female is present the fights might not be so bad even though pumilio males are supposed to be vicious with each other. It probably all depends on the personalities of each frog - but it's probably always better to be safe than sorry since aggression can't always be seen by us - definitely monitor the non-calling frog's eating and activity level.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It's odd that it would stop calling. I imagine there must have been some significant change in conditions to cause that.

if they were 2 males would they fight or would one keep there head down?
In my experience with imitator, one is more likely to hide or keep away from the dominant one most of the time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for both your comments,

I did move them from a plastic box to a nice viv, but the male did carry on calling for about 2-3 weeks after moving them. There no aggression between them the "female" is shyer but i would spot them feeding next to each other with no issues both a good size the calling male is a bit smaller.

The viv gets misted 6 times a day for about 40 seconds and its dual vented and temp around 22C. The only difference between this once and the last viv was it had 100% humidity. I have read your care sheets John maybe they need less ventilation?

I have blocked the back vent at first to get the plants growing leave the top front open open to stop the glass misting up. Both vent are now open.

Male

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I don't think the ventilation is an issue. Mine breed nonstop, despite not misting them for weeks and with an inch vent in a 10 gallon terrarium. You've got a minor mystery on your hands I think! Maybe you do have a pair but it's strange that nothing's happening.

I love that terrarium! Where did you get it or did you make it? If it's commercially available I may have to pick a few up next time I'm in England.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok will keep an eye on them still early days.

It's a custom built one which I requested from fellow hobbiest builds them for us normally using a single vent. They are all made from optiwhite/low iron glass at no extra cost as standard. I requested a single door which I lift out with a glass sucker/holder.

Warm air rises which sucks cool air from the front vent which de-mists the glass, and out of the top vent, pretty standard in Europe. The dual vent allows me to control the humidity for different species by blocking the back one off or leaving it open.

Let us know when you’re visiting John and I will get you in contact with some of the guys over here, don’t forget your camera! ;)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Haha, I will, thank you :). I haven't been in a few years but I used to live in Bristol.

The way you described that terrarium is how I convert the zoo med and exo terra terrariums here. I get a piece of glass cut to replace the lid that leaves a gap of about 2.5 inches at the front. I then make a vent (a la Shawn Harrington's how-to on dendroboard), and it goes at the front. I put very fine mesh (no-see-um) in the bottom vent and silicone the doors so the flies can't escape.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hey Nick.

Theres that lovely girl again, bloody stunning!

Was very jealous when you showed me her!

It is strange that your male has stopped calling. My Chazuta male is constantly calling.

When their not courting hes getting the Female to feed the tads so there is always a commotion.

Maybe try giving them a little dry out period then hit them with a heavy misting to reignite the man in him.

Keep us posted.

Richie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts