Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a few intermedius from Rich Frye, and he is offering several different patterns and color combinations. If any of you have seen his ads on Kingsnake, you have seen the pictures I'm talking about. I spoke with him earlier today, and he described about 5 different patterns, which all seemed very diverse, but he told me that they were all of the same bloodline. Is it typical of Intermedius for pure specimens of a single line to produce offspring with such diversity? Granted, they are all beautiful frogs, and I hold Rich in high regard, but I want to make sure that they're not crosses.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't know anything about the intermedius blood in the hobby, but I think the best way to tell if they are the same morph is to compare them to a fantasticus morph. The intermedius are all fantasticus mimics - banded fantasticus = banded intermedius, etc. As far as I know, the fantasticus morphs are fairly distinct, i.e. little variation within a population, but lots of variation across populations. I think then intermedius is the same way.

Evan

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi,

I am pretty sure that the stock are from an importation by John Uhern, as are most of the other intermedius in the country. They are not crosses, intermedius seem to have a variety of different patterns. Most people breeding them in the US have this line, although a few were brought in by Jared Wolfe. They are not a cross, unless something happened to them in Germany, but then that would be the case with nearly all the intermedius in the US.

Alexander

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I agree with Alex, I have some intermedius from one of patricks group, and one has the pattern of a yellow fantasticus and the other has black spots on a copper background. They are pretty variable in pattern.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I wouldn't rule out cross breed... why? simply because there is a line in the US that does not produce all of the variations mentioned above.

SB

·
Registered
475 Posts
Just to clarify what I mean, there is a possibility that they have been cross bred somewhere in the Europe where the line originated.

BTW, I am not trying to stigmatize anyone… but pointing out the abnormal pattern... mainly standard fantasticus pattern (w/ striated lines on the body) out of intermedius lines in the US…

·
Super Moderator
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would also like to clarify, in case anyone got the wrong idea, it goes without saying that Rich Frye would certainly not breed crosses, and I hope that no one reading this post would have gotten that impression.

G

·
Dane,

On my trip we found populations of intermedius can vary greatly. We found what would be classified as 3 morphs in 1 population from spotted to almost Lined. The intermedius that are fant mimics didn't vary that much however.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts