Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really love the fidelity of Imis. Are there species that will thrive without Broms? I would rather a film canister for breeding/egg depostion for ease of outside rearing. All my thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Imitator don't need brooms if you have film canisters in there, though first time parents are more likely to start breeding in brooms than film cans.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm...Brooms you say, so THAT"S why I'm not getting anything! jk ;)
LMAO, didn't notice the typo until you highlighted it, very funny, thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I really love the fidelity of Imis. Are there species that will thrive without Broms? I would rather a film canister for breeding/egg depostion for ease of outside rearing. All my thanks!

JBear
I'm not entirely sure I understand this question....

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I opened with a statement of why they interest me, and then asked if broms were required in the breeding process. I wanted to be sure I didn't need them if I were to buy some Imis.

JBear

·
Registered
725 Posts
Imitator don't need brooms if you have film canisters in there, though first time parents are more likely to start breeding in brooms than film cans.
ya don't imi's just "sweep" you off your feet? Man i think i really need to "clean up" my act!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I opened with a statement of why they interest me, and then asked if broms were required in the breeding process. I wanted to be sure I didn't need them if I were to buy some Imis.

JBear
Oh! Gotcha....

You don't _need_ broms, but they're certainly a great resource to have in your vivarium. If you wanted, you could mount film canisters in the tank.... I've found I get much better success when I let my imitators take care of their own tads. If you wanted to mount some film cans facing up along a piece of wood they could even take care of tads that way.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The reason I am hesitant about Broms is that the only plants I have used are pothos and creeping ivy... Beyond that, I would rather have the option to rear tads outside. I thank you for the suggestion of mounting film canisters upright on wood for tad drops.

JBear

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
The reason I am hesitant about Broms is that the only plants I have used are pothos and creeping ivy... Beyond that, I would rather have the option to rear tads outside. I thank you for the suggestion of mounting film canisters upright on wood for tad drops.

JBear
I use that option in my veradero imitator tank despite the ten or so broms in that tank.

If you've never used broms before I'd recommend checking out the plant sections periodically at Home Depot or WalMart. They sometimes sell cheap neos with a few pups blooming off of them. You end up getting something like half a dozen broms for five bucks.... It allows you to experiment without losing much if it all fails.

Broms are easy as long as you keep them out of a saturated substrate. Mount them near wood using something (I like zip ties a lot), put them in higher light situations, and keep the center axil filled with water....

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am considering acquiring some imis and am still doing some final research.

I will likely be contacting "JohnC"(John Clare) for prices, but if anyone has metamorphs for sale/trade, please let me know.

I am not sure which ssp. I like the most, which is considered the best begginer imi?

All my thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I can likely make you a good deal since you're so local - this time though wouldn't be free like last time! ;). Current juveniles imitators I have include Intermedius (should have 2, but I'd have to go digging in the leaf litter to confirm the second one is still kicking), at least 2 Varaderos (Understory line), and 3+ Tarapoto (Understory line) imitators.

Addedum: I forgot to answer your question. Boldness seems to vary from frog to frog within imitator. My boldest imitators are the Tarapotos, followed by the Intermedius, followed in a distant third by the Varaderos.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can likely make you a good deal since you're so local - this time though wouldn't be free like last time! ;) .
Although you are extremely kind and generous, I completely understand! LMAO! PM sent, BTW... I may have some things for trade to maybe barter with?

All my thanks!

JBear

1 - 15 of 15 Posts