Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Look really good so far! For some reason around day 7-9 I loose mine. I am trying some diff things with them. They just are more sensitive than my other dendro eggs it seems.

Good luck!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Amanda...hmmm...that really stinks that yours have been going bad. What have you tried that isn't working? If you can't get yours to develop, then I'm sure mine will go bad too. Guess I shouldn't get my hopes up too high. :(

At least they're LAYING good eggs, so I'll just have to figure out how to keep them good! :) Easier said than done though...obviously.

Take care
Kristen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,548 Posts
Mine have been laying like crazy too...but haven't had many tads develop.
I even waited till a tail and eyes showed on the eggs before removing some of them, and had only one of the six turn out good.
I'm thinking of trying to just leave them and see what happens, and turning the film cans to form more of a deposition site, since my broms aren't holding water well right now.
I guess they had a clutch hidden in there somewhere, because the male was carrying a tad around for about three days...maybee I'll get lucky, and it wasn't the same tad on his back all of that time!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brian,
Is that strange that they would develop so far and then go bad? I have heard and read that the success rate is much higher if you remove from the tank rather than letting the parents care for them.

Now I'm really bummed...haha!

Take care
Kristen
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
What I have done in the past and it seemed to work alot better is to just collect the tads from their deposit sites.Before I started to just let them egg feed the tads what I was doing is mounting my broms, mainly fireballs, to corkbark leaned up against the background. What I did was drilled holes in the piece of bark and shove the stem of the brom into it.When I saw a tad in the broms I would just dump them out into a deli cup and raise it.I would then put the brom back in the viv.It wasn't the best thing for the brom since I was disturbing the roots but it worked for me. I had film canisters in the viv but they picked the broms to deposit more then them.
One of the main reason I was doing it that way was because the parents found their way behind the corkbark background and would lay their eggs there so it was my only choice.
Mark W.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,548 Posts
trinacliff said:
Brian,
Is that strange that they would develop so far and then go bad? I have heard and read that the success rate is much higher if you remove from the tank rather than letting the parents care for them.

Now I'm really bummed...haha!

Take care
Kristen
Don't be bummed Kristen, at least you are getting eggs, and you might have a real good turn out.
I think these worms may be the cause of my poor turnout. I want to redo the tank, but I don't want to disturb the frogs if they are breeding, especially now, since there are tads deposited who knows where!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Kristin-

Please don't take my comment negative. That's just been my experience, and I really, really hope yours turn out good for you.

I have tried leaving them in the tank for a while, tried pulling them early, I seem to have the most success when I keep the pitre dish covered inside the container I keep my eggs in. I am also now keeping my thumb eggs in a diff container than my other eggs, and that seems to help a little too.

Don't get down, as of now you have 3 great looking eggs developing.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, keep us posted, and good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all of you...I appreciate it! I hope somehow they make it through to the tad stage, at least, and I would be ecstatic. :)

Amanda, no harm, no foul....haha. I guess I just realized that even if the eggs are fertile, that doesn't necessarily mean that you'll end up with a tad...much less a froglet. Of course, I knew that...I was just so busy being excited about the fact that they are developing, but then reality set in. :)

Also, my thought was that if you, being very experienced, are having difficulties with the eggs, then it would just be luck if I were able to pull this off. :) For real....

Thanks again! I'll keep you posted!

Kristen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

Well, I have three tads that have developed and are in the water...two of the three are doing very well, and the third is just doing ok. Those are from the first clutch. Something that I think is very interesting...the first one broke out prematurely on day 10 and the second one on day 12. The second one to come out is doing the best, the first one to come out is almost as good as that one...and the last one that came out on day 15 is ok, but not doing as well as the first two. It's almost as if the more time they have in the water after hatching, the better they do...as long as they don't die altogether. :)

Since the first clutch, I have gotten three more clutches. Three, four and three, respectively. One clutch had two good eggs and one obviously bad...the tads just emerged...early again. So far, they look like they are pretty much dead, but I'll wait and see. The clutch of four is developing and the last clutch of three doesn't seem to be fertile. The female actually laid those three in the same film canister as the previous four and I had not yet removed the four...so I'm wondering if the male never fertilized them.

Anyway, just an update...since I was so doom and gloom before, I thought ya'll might be interested to know how things are going.

Take care!

Kristen
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top