Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Movie\ Game room where I have a couch and big TV. My kids call it, "Daddy's Room". This is where I have my 58 gallon planted tropical fish tank.

Every space in the room was filled except for one corner. I found a 44 gallon pentagon tank and stand on Craigslist to fill the space perfectly. Its stand and color match my other tank which it will sit beside. I knew I wanted a terrarium planted tank but then started researching dart frogs, something I've always wanted.

I've spent the past few weeks gathering supplies to nicely build the background to the 44 and researching other 44 builds on here.

The problem started when I bought a Zoomed 18x18x18 for my daughter. I keep seeing these videos of people opening up there vivs and being able to reach in and work on them or take pics. That just seems so awesome.

So, will I be stupid to just scrap the idea of using the 44 pentagon aquarium? Every time I think about not using it I think about how great it is going to fit in the room. Every time I think about starting on it though I think how I won't be able to open it up and how difficult it will be to work on it from above only.

Also, it the 18x18x18 a good starter size?

Thanks for any opinions.

Chris

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 44 gallon pent, and I love it. I love being able to have 2 whole sides that you can use as a background, without having them visible. I do agree that it would be more convenient to have a front opening, but I don't find it that difficult to work on mine. The worst part for me is finding lights that fit on it. I'd like to try to build a custom hood for it one day, but since I don't have the knowhow, it will probalby be a while, if ever.

I think with either option you will be very happy! Have fun, and make sure to post some pics when you get started!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Its a matter of personal preference. You were on the right assumption that the open front would be convenient, especially for first timers, but the uniqueness of a pentagon is something few people have.

If you were confident enough, perhaps you could convert the pentagon into an open front. Nothing but a little glass work and some modifying to get the ease of maintenance while maintaining the uniqueness.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Why not build the 18 Cube for your daughter, make some minor mistakes (inevitable on the first build) and develop a few viv building techniques, then use all that you learned to build the 44g tank for "daddy's room".

·
Registered
393 Posts
Why not build the 18 Cube for your daughter, make some minor mistakes (inevitable on the first build) and develop a few viv building techniques, then use all that you learned to build the 44g tank for "daddy's room".
This sounds like a GREAT idea. That's what I would do.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This sounds good. I'm a little bit intimidated of messing up the 44.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts