Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up this morning to find that I'm completely out of fruit flies and there's hardly any left in the tank. I try to have backups but I never know when to replace them. WHAT DO I DO! :(

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have had mites kill my cultures and be in the same situation as you and I just have to bite the bullet and buy a couple cultures from one of the venders to restart some new cultures.

Curtis

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
depending on the size of your frogs, you might be able to go to your local reptile store and pick up some pinhead crickets untill you get some more fruit fly culters, but I don't think that would work for thumnails. I think it will only work for larger species such as tintcorius, terribilis, ect.

wish you luck,
frog dude

·
Administrator
8,720 Posts
This is where being habitual comes in.

1) You make your ffs the same time EVERY WEEK.

2) You do not feed from a batch of ffs until after you have made new cultures from that batch!

3) You keep your "feeding ffs" away from your "developing ffs". This lowers the mite risk (since they normally appear in older cultures - you don't want older cultures near your new/developing cultures).

s

I woke up this morning to find that I'm completely out of fruit flies and there's hardly any left in the tank. I try to have backups but I never know when to replace them. WHAT DO I DO! :(

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
If your frogs were well fed, then they will do fine with a fast of a few days to a week, while you get new flies...

Ed

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I try to make two every other week. I use hydei. When I had the smaller flies I just made one every week. I only have one tank right now though.

What I hate is when I have an old culture and I try to pour out flies and a bunch of old dried maggots and dead flies fall out with the live ones.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
You should have a new thread up by now saying "Fruit Flies needed in ______"

If you don't get any hits on that right away, you need to place an order with a vendor.

I'm sorry that this could cost you some bucks to get some shipped quickly. Listen to Scott's sound advice. Make cultures EVERY week.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Even with a single tank, I'd make two cultures every week. Better to toss flies than run out. And if a culture goes down, you still have back ups.

There are a number of froggers in your region. Hopefully you can run someone down.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Also, now is a good time to get cultures of other bugs going.
I have a few dwarf white woodlice cultures and some springtail cultures. When there is a day or two where no fruit fly cultures are producing, my frogs get woodlice and springtails.
Bean beetles are a good one to have as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Like everyone else has said; Make cultures every week, and make a few more than you will need. I had a mite issue this summer and had to get a culture from someone in town and order flies when it was 90 degrees all week. Needless to say, after spending almost twice as much as the flies in shipping, I am very diligent about making flies every week.

Mite paper is awesome btw.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts