Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a petstore today that sells dart frogs, well after inspecting there tanks I got pretty pissed off, they had powder blues and patricia's together they were juveniles but there was about 18 in a 10 gallon vertical then they had cobalts and azures together about 20 in a 10 gallon vertical most pretty thin so I bought/rescued four I tried to get the healthiest ones and the guy getting the frogs for me had no brains he crushed an killed an azures and didn't even care so I told him to let me get my frogs and he did after throwing all of the wood from the tank on the ground and then put it back in the tank. Well I did get what looks to be four healthy and active frogs 2 patricia's a cobalt and a powder blue, for now they are in 2 sterlite containers eating and hopping around and once I finish my 55 gal hopefully by sunday they will be relocated their untill growing some and then being separated to there own tanks.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
First off, sorry to hear about this. It's very unfortunate that so many of these awesome frogs die from ignorance or simple greed by sellers.
That said, I do not suggest going to "rescue" sick frogs from pet stores. Sadly, it appears the store really only looked at them with profit in mind, and didn't care to keep them healthy, so they will probably do anything with them as long as they make money. By buying them, even though you are trying to help, you are probably sending the message to them that it is OK to do this, and worse yet, encouraging them to get even more frogs to sell.
Instead, I would encourage you to express your concern with the store employees and/or owner, making it clear that it is not acceptable to keep them like this and you do not support it. If it is simply ignorance, offer them some advice on how to set up an adequate tank for them.
On another note, although they may look fine, if they were in with a bunch of overcrowded and skinny frogs, the ones you picked up probably are filled with parasites or other diseases. I would definitely do a good quarentine, with fecals, and do not share any materials between the tanks to minimize cross-contamination risks.
Again, I'm not unsympathetic or heartless when it comes to those frogs in the store. I've seen similar situations and it is very tempting to want to save each and every one. Unfortunately, it may mean leaving them to the care of the store, even if they die, to finally make the employees understand they should stop buying (and killing) more frogs.
Best of luck with the new ones, I hope everything turns out alright.
Bryan

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
... and the guy getting the frogs for me had no brains he crushed an killed an azures and didn't even care...
This entire story is so sad, but that's got to be the worst! I think I'd be yelling for the manager and giving him a piece of my mind. (Not that it would do any good...just make me feel a little better!)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Wow. that's pathetic, on the pet store's case of course. Killing a frog that is threatened in the wild, and not caring? I saw a horrible thing just like this at my local reptile show where a handful of jackasses kept 40 bearded dragons in a 10 gallon and a Gila monster (are these even legal to sell?) with a corn snake. It really upsets me that there are such inconsiderate, lonesome people out there that only care about getting there 6$/hour paycheck and not the health, or life, of another living animal. If I were you, I would speak with the manager and sort things out.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
i could see someone putting 40 juvie beardies in a 10 gallon tank (im not excusing the fact that its a poor way to keep them even in a temporary sale display) but a gila and a corn snake?

gilas go for $1K +++, i just cant see someone who has put that much money into an animal, housing it with anything other than prey animals, or other gilas.

creeping death: i have to agree, its not a good idea to buy animals from people who blatantly give improper care, and even show total disregard for the animal (like you saw). it really just gives them justification to buy more (as another member noted). i understand the urge, and i've certainly caved in before. (numerous pufferfish from wallmart) but you have to realize that not only are you sending the wrong message (even if you explained how wrong they were) by purchasing the animals, but your taking on a potential plethora of issues that the animals likely either already have, or will have in the future.

james

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First off, sorry to hear about this. It's very unfortunate that so many of these awesome frogs die from ignorance or simple greed by sellers.
That said, I do not suggest going to "rescue" sick frogs from pet stores. Sadly, it appears the store really only looked at them with profit in mind, and didn't care to keep them healthy, so they will probably do anything with them as long as they make money. By buying them, even though you are trying to help, you are probably sending the message to them that it is OK to do this, and worse yet, encouraging them to get even more frogs to sell.
Instead, I would encourage you to express your concern with the store employees and/or owner, making it clear that it is not acceptable to keep them like this and you do not support it. If it is simply ignorance, offer them some advice on how to set up an adequate tank for them.
On another note, although they may look fine, if they were in with a bunch of overcrowded and skinny frogs, the ones you picked up probably are filled with parasites or other diseases. I would definitely do a good quarentine, with fecals, and do not share any materials between the tanks to minimize cross-contamination risks.
Again, I'm not unsympathetic or heartless when it comes to those frogs in the store. I've seen similar situations and it is very tempting to want to save each and every one. Unfortunately, it may mean leaving them to the care of the store, even if they die, to finally make the employees understand they should stop buying (and killing) more frogs.
Best of luck with the new ones, I hope everything turns out alright.
Bryan
They actually use to be better, now they have new people that just don't care, I don't know what happened they use to care, this is were I got my fist frog over a year ago my azures and I still have him today and hes as happy as ever. And honestly I just couldn't help but buy the frogs and I hope the aren't sick they just got them in 2 weeks ago and I think they are really under fed is all, but I do plan on quarantining them. How long should I do this for? Also the guy who killed the frog I told him he was an idiot and that I wanted to talk to the owner who is a great guy but he wasn't in. I didn't just buy them and leave I let them know how I felt and that I would be back to talk to the owner.

·
Registered
701 Posts
i could see someone putting 40 juvie beardies in a 10 gallon tank (im not excusing the fact that its a poor way to keep them even in a temporary sale display) but a gila and a corn snake?

gilas go for $1K +++, i just cant see someone who has put that much money into an animal, housing it with anything other than prey animals, or other gilas.

creeping death: i have to agree, its not a good idea to buy animals from people who blatantly give improper care, and even show total disregard for the animal (like you saw). it really just gives them justification to buy more (as another member noted). i understand the urge, and i've certainly caved in before. (numerous pufferfish from wallmart) but you have to realize that not only are you sending the wrong message (even if you explained how wrong they were) by purchasing the animals, but your taking on a potential plethora of issues that the animals likely either already have, or will have in the future.

james
The gila was actually 1500$ and the beardies weren't full grown, but weren't juvies either. Each one was probably 8-12 inches. They looked starved too...

·
Registered
701 Posts
They actually use to be better, now they have new people that just don't care, I don't know what happened they use to care, this is were I got my fist frog over a year ago my azures and I still have him today and hes as happy as ever. And honestly I just couldn't help but buy the frogs and I hope the aren't sick they just got them in 2 weeks ago and I think they are really under fed is all, but I do plan on quarantining them. How long should I do this for? Also the guy who killed the frog I told him he was an idiot and that I wanted to talk to the owner who is a great guy but he wasn't in. I didn't just buy them and leave I let them know how I felt and that I would be back to talk to the owner.
"The owner isn't in right now, sorry!" is a classic excuse I bought my feeders when I kept tiger oscars from a local pet store, they kept about 10,000 goldfish (not exaggerated) in a 70g tank and half were dead, and the rest looked diseased. I wanted to talk to the manager about the condition of the feeders and got that exact excuse. Had to sell the oscars because if you've kept them, you know how huge and hungry they get.

·
Registered
840 Posts
You can complain all you want, but you bought the frogs. Don't buy frogs from a place like that. They won't change unless they can't sell the frogs - if they loose money, they might figure out what their doing wrong and fix it. But you buying frogs and complaining - they won't hear it.

Best,

Chuck

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I've never seen PDFs in pet stores
I can actually say I've never seen any overcrowding in any pet stores around here with any animals.
we don't really see many rare animals around here either tho....just your basics

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you guys think this is bad you should see how animals are treated BEFORE they ever reach the pet store. Whether or not the store is nice the animals go through absolute hell to get there.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
If you guys think this is bad you should see how animals are treated BEFORE they ever reach the pet store. Whether or not the store is nice the animals go through absolute hell to get there.
I guess it depends on where they get their frogs... I sometimes sell surplus offspring of beginner frogs to local exotic pet stores. I don't think my tanks are "frog hell".
Bryan

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
i have to agree, CB frogs are probably MUCH better taken care of before they get to a pet store. your talking about breeders whose reputation and ultimately their livelihood depend on producing healthy frogs. even WC frogs are reasonably well taken care of (at least compared to some of the horror stories of the past) before they make it to the pet store.

james

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can complain all you want, but you bought the frogs. Don't buy frogs from a place like that. They won't change unless they can't sell the frogs - if they loose money, they might figure out what their doing wrong and fix it. But you buying frogs and complaining - they won't hear it.

Best,

Chuck
For one I was just venting, and they heard me because I went back and talked to the owner and he said they wound up getting more frogs than they could handle and he was currently working on separating them which I believe because he was personaly working on the tanks when I showed up, as for the guy who killed the frog I believe he was fired. So I wasn't just complaining I said id go back and I do something about it and I did and I plan on doing a follow up. And I only went there to get some supplies for my 55 gal I since I had a coupon, I had no plans on getting any frogs untill october it just happened that way, and overall im glad I bought the frogs they are eating great and doing just fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts