Dendroboard banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Im looking at starting a PDF terrarium but need help on deciding what terrarium to get. I know I want a glass one so I think it would be between these two, either a Ferplast Explora 60 or an Exo terra 60 x 40 x 60. Which one would be better? I was looking a keeping two PDF's, would this be ok? could I keep more? what species are good for a beginner but are pleasing to the eye?

Sorry for all the questions, hope you can help.

Cheers

Danny

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome, Those are some big tanks to be starting off with, I would start off with between a 10 and 29 gallon tank, so when you mess up like we all have in the beginning that it is a small mistake not a big expansive one. I agree with Kris about the leucs but if you are going to start off with a tank that big you could also look at auratus, they are known for being shyer but mine have always been very outgoing. I love tincs but they do not do well in groups with more then one female, so if you do go with tincs just keep a good eye on them if you happen to get more then one female.

Good luck, Curtis

·
Registered
123 Posts
Welcome. There are a lot of members with great ideas here. Take a look at the viv pictures and ask a lot of questions as you set up your tank. You have an idea with a big tank, so it could be more difficult to set up, but I find that the bigger set up gives the frogs more environment. They seem to be happier in my larger tank. Let me know if I can be any help, Johnny

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
A 24x18x24 inch (60x40x60cm) Exo Terra is a great terrarium - I have several. Starting out, I would look at a group of 4 Dendrobates leucomelas. For help putting together the vivarium, check out this video:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
what species are good for a beginner but are pleasing to the eye?
My vote always goes for tincs. They are big and bold...always out and about. They always keep you entertained and you don't have to spend forever looking at the tank hoping to catch a glimpse of your frogs. :D

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Really, the size and orientation of the vivarium depends on what type of frog you choose. Some frogs are terrestrial (will be on the floor) and some frogs are arboreal (will want be up off the floor). So, this would determine whether you set your viv up with more length and land or whether you set it up to have more height. Also, of course, the more frogs you have...the more space you'll need. Your best bet is to choose the type of frog first and then get what's needed. Also remember that some frogs do better in groups than others.

Previously, you mentioned keeping 2 frogs which is why I recommended tincs. A regular 20 high or long aquarium would be a great size for these into adulthood. You can do 3-4 froglets, but as they near adulthood, you may need to separate them as they can become aggressive (usually towards same sex) and 4 would need more room than a 20 could provide.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Honestly, thinking about minimum space for maximum frogs is not the best way to go. Why not under-populate or over-size the viv? Even if you only have a pair or trio in a bigger tank, if you choose a bolder and more colorful frog (leucomelas is always my vote for a first frog) you will still see them and they will be much happier. If the tank is too crowded they will hide because they are getting stressed out...you will see them less even though you have more frogs. Just something to think about. Those ferplast tanks seem really cool by the way.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You are getting some really great feedback! :) My advice is to get a 29gallon high and start with 2 tinctorius (tinc/s) or leucamela (leuc/s) froglets. A 29 high is not tiny but it isn't expensively huge. I have tincs and i love them! they are bold, gorgeous, and a lot of fun to watch. I don't own any leucamelas but i hear really really great things about them. Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
research, research, research....and more research is the best advice.
I was on this forum for like 6months before attempting a build and bought supplies as I was going a lot instead of all at once.
take your time....patience is key

Reactions: reptileman79

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm going to have to go with leucomelas. They were my first frogs and to this day I still find enjoyment watching them. A big tank sounds fun, but I would practice with small ones ( 10g verts ). They are cheap and if you mess it up you out 10 bucks or so instead of 50 bucks ( or more ). Then when you think your tackle something bigger have at it.

Just my 2 cents, but which ever way you go I'm sure your going have fun. The possibilities are endless when it comes to vivariums. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the idea of leucomelas my only concern (but not a major one) is the setup will be in my living room and doesnt the male have a loud bird like call? how loud are we talking and is this all the time? :confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could someone also tell me how long a 20g long terrarium is in cm and also a 29g high is in cm, thanks guys :D

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
A 20L is 20" (50.8 cm) high by 30" (76.2 cm) long. If you're going with leucs (another great frog!), I think I would choose a tank with a little more height. The 29h would probably be a much better choice. I don't have the measurements (got rid of mine), but it's quite a bit taller. Leucs are known for being everywhere and would really appreciate some height.

I can't comment on the call...the only Leucs I've owned were girls. :/

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you are concerned about the call get a tinc - their calls are practically inaudible outside the tank.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts