Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got in the hobby about two years ago. I have five terrariums. I began with tree frogs. Currently I'm interested in Dendros and Mantellas, though I don't yet have any darts.

I have three Golden Mantellas in a 10x10x10" paludarium. It's my profile picture. I love them a lot. Their palu has two types of isopods including Grand Canyons, and one is the length of a notch on my finger. Its size is almost scary.

I also have a Sonoran Desert terrarium currently without animals. Then I have a plant propagating upright 20 gallon that I'm fashioning into my first dart frog vivarium. My fourth is an 18x18x24 paludarium with two Golden Tree Frogs. The water feature has a beta and two other fishes, two types of snails, and a Jade Shrimp and a Cherry Shrimp. My last vivarium is a 20 gallon upright corner tropical with ~10 tropical plants and a cleanup crew, yet has no lights, no mist king, no power whatsoever. It was to prove that I could do it and now I might sell it. I almost never mist it and had my two tree frogs thriving in it, so I've achieved my objective. It can't house Darts and that's what I want next, so who needs it? ;)

Besides frogs, I'm interested in haute couture, writing, new experiences, and gardening in Phoenix, AZ. I work in public policy. I'm also fascinated by ancient Egypt, Saudi Arabia (watch the Frontline documentary!), astronomy, Oceania, and the Amish/Mennonites.

If I could become another animal, I'd like to be a seal, as I feel most at home in water. Yet I love the desert's hot, dry weather where I live, weird. I'm battling addiction and my mom just died from it. So the hobby helps keep me clean and gives me something to share with my son. I love It's Always Sunny and if I could only recommend one movie, it's "The Believer."

My pain points right now are keeping my Mantella cube from overflowing. And my paludarium pumps frequently need maintenance. I guess the biggest is I'm getting a 20 gallon upright corner terrarium ready for future Ranitomeya Benedicta Pampa Hermosa. I can only get about half of it 85%-99%, with the other half over 60-77% humidity. A double headed mist king is too much water, so I use a single head and am considering adding a fogger or another separate single-headed mist king.

More than you ever wanted to know? Haha :) I'll see you guys on the boards...

·
Registered
182 Posts
The humidity gradient in your benedicta enclosure is ideal. It gives them humid microclimates and dry areas. I would not add anything more-foggers can facilitate respiratory infections, and keeping the enclosure wetter may harm the animals.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The humidity gradient in your benedicta enclosure is ideal. It gives them humid microclimates and dry areas. I would not add anything more-foggers can facilitate respiratory infections, and keeping the enclosure wetter may harm the animals.
Thank you very much for your advice, Eurydactylodes. I have a bunch of other problems before I bring in frogs. Here's a pic. I made it for plant propagation.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thank you very much for your advice, Eurydactylodes. I have a bunch of other problems before I bring in frogs. Here's a pic. I made it for plant propagation.
It looks very dry in there. Is this the 20 gallon vertical, or the tree frog enclosure? If it is the former, I think your humidity gauge might be malfunctioning. If it is the latter, does it still have frogs in it? If it does, please send pictures of them.
Best,
Oscar

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks very dry in there. Is this the 20 gallon vertical, or the tree frog enclosure? If it is the former, I think your humidity gauge might be malfunctioning. If it is the latter, does it still have frogs in it? If it does, please send pictures of them.
Best,
Oscar
Thank you for your interest, Oscar! This is a 20 gallon upright and has never housed animals. I made it for plant propogation. It's hard to see but there are four plastic baskets Great Stuffed into the backs. I say backs because this is a corner terrarium (Petsmart Thrive 20 gallon corner glass terrarium that they just stopped making).

I have 3 brands of digital hygrometers in there and some parts are drier than what I said, going into the 50%s. It looks dry in part because the coco attached to silicone attached to that Great Stuff doesn't receive MistKing water. (I know I'm bad based on the thread about automation and hand misting, haha.) But a huge vivarium door and the LED light don't help the humidity either!

To get these numbers, I have the MistKing. Then each of those plastic baskets has potted propagating plants or is planted. The bottom is also planted with a drainage layer that has some but little standing water. Also I hardscaped in some plastic pots in the corner.

I have several things that I should (or really really should) do before introducing Pampa Hermosas. I hope to get more of your advice :)

I uploaded an unlisted YouTube video of my vivarium because one can't really understand it in pictures. It's a complicated architecture I guess.

Thank you, Oscar!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts