Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
My name is Jeremy Im from Miami, FL and 5 years ago i was in the hobby but do to college i needed to jump out for a bit. Now that i got my career stabled, i decided to continue the hobby.
Below are some pics on a new viv i just finished, I wanted to get back in with a bang so i made an 18x18 Exo. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Welcome back! I love the red broms, where did you get em? Any idea what will be housed in there? I'd toss some leaf litter in there but I really like the assortment of plants!

Shaw

·
Registered
50 Posts
In addition to needing leaf litter, i think some of those plants are going to outgrow the space... Staghorn ferns get huge and the alocasia will start reaching for light.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Welcome back! The tank looks really nice, I like all of the nice brom colors. My only suggestion would be to put leaf litter over the dirt/coco-fiber section because the frogs can get stressed when the dirt sticks to them.
Bryan

·
Registered
933 Posts
What is your substrate? Looks heavy with peat or coco coir, bordered with sphagnum? Did you remove the soil from the potted plants in the bottom, before replanting them? Nursery soil will get wet and stay saturated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for making me feel at home again. I’m def going to take your advice on the leaf litter.

Laylow- The broms came from a local nursery that specializes with assortments of broms and air plants, even some orchids as well.

Uniceros- Your right about the plants overgrowing the area. I got so excited shopping for plants that I forgot about the space I was working with. I guess ill adjust the tank as it grows.

Reef_Haven- The substrate is a brick of coco, I did boarder the outside with sphagnum so the substrate doesn’t fall into the pond area. I also removed the soil from all the plants prior to transplanting them in the new substrate I created.

As for frogs, I will be housing a pair of tincs so if anyone has a pair for sale please message me with some info. I would like to purchase within the next 2 weeks.

-Jeremy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also, make sure you have fruit fly proofed the vivarium, like no-see-um netting over the vents and sealing the top of the enclosure by putting a piece of glass over it to keep up the humidity. (Didn't know if you did this, couldn't quite tell from the pictures) Good luck and welcome back into the hobby!

·
Registered
348 Posts
i would lower the water level a bit for tincs as well. pm sent

·
Registered
933 Posts
Coco is not going to work for a substrate. Before you go any further, you need to research ABG mix threads for a proper, well draining substrate. Otherwise your plants roots are going to rot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts