Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have had some vents for a while now and after a little time I have finally found some eggs. Let me tell you I couldnt be more proud of my frogs esp the stud muffin who got his groove on :wink: . It was in a bromeliad and I wasnt sure I was seeing what I was seeing so I got them out. Well I found all this crap mixed in like dead fruit flies and what not and didnt pay much attention to all of it I just wanted the eggs to be clean. In my attempt to clean them I realized that one or more of my frogs must have some sort of parasite as some of the brownish stringy stuff was moving on its own, I dont know what it is but im sure its some type of worm. Of course I am going to try to take care of my problem but I have a few questions. Beside what they might be, they are probably from 1/4 inch- 3/4 inch, very thin like sewing string or finer, and brownish red. The frogs dont seem skinny at all.

Is it most likely these eggs can get this parasite?

Now that I have found I have a parasite problem do I have to trash the tank and everything to start over?

Could this parasite be related to the plant rather than the frogs?

This may fit better under the disease and treatment but I imagine that more people peek in here.

Any advice even on egg care to save redoing research is taken with much gratitude.

jason talbott

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
rmelancon said:
If you can see the worms, they aren't likely to be parasites from your frogs. (someone correct me if I'm wrong). There are all sorts of worms big and small that live in soil and are introduced by way of plants that are harmless to your frogs.
This is usually true- they would only shed segments and seldom if ever would you see a full "worm". Most likely a soil nematode of some sort.

Justin

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't believe it to be a parasitical worm. There are some types of worms, and snails that can hitch hike in on plants, or your substrate, wood, etc., and some of these will eat eggs from what I have heard. I had a MAJOR nematode problem in a tank that I just tore down. None were parasites though. Generally, like what has been said, if you can see it, it is PROBABLY to large to be a parasite of a frog. That is not necessarily true, but it is a good rule of thumb. It never hurts to get fecals done though, just to be on the safe side. Good luck,

Ed Parker

1 - 7 of 7 Posts