Dendroboard banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
If you can't find it here, I know my local petsmart has them in the birds section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Under the humidity of a vivarium, the vines structural integrity generally doesn't last for more than a year. They look cool tho.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would not recommend real lianas. I got a small amount years ago. It looks great in a vivarium. But looking back, it seems odd to me that they could sell that kind of stuff responsibly and sustainably, given that jungles are disappearing, etc. You will probably find it difficult to get it today.

The outer bark is kind of hard, but the inner wood is quite soft. After a couple years in a vivarium, it tends to rot away, seemingly evaporate. Maybe the bugs eat it? Dunno.

What you are left with, then, is a hollow tube of bark. It still looks normal from the outside, but the ends are quite open and the inside material is gone. You could squeeze it in your hand and collapse it, but don't: I have alleviated that in the old pieces, by filling them with black great stuff.

My concluding opinion is that I would not prefer to buy it again. There are better ways to get the same look, but longer lasting and more environmentally friendly, such as the epiweb (ecoweb) lianas that some of the reptile stores sell.

Mark C.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure glad you guys spoke up. I did put some into a viv and they do look so cool. Now I worry I'll have to replace them. I'll look for the alternatives. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.