Dendroboard banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has bought the LEDs from Ikea, and how they work. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are for lighting a bookshelf, but there are 48 LEDs in total I would think thats enough for a 20 gal. am I wrong?

·
Registered
410 Posts
They are for lighting a bookshelf, but there are 48 LEDs in total I would think thats enough for a 20 gal. am I wrong?
It depends on the LEDs (they vary widely in lumens and wattage), but you'd probably have to multiply that number by 20 or more to light a 20 gallon decently.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Crap, it's in one of the forum areas only for members....Well take my word for it, 48 LEDs will not be enough! His light is a 32x12" panel, absolutely covered with led's without any gaps between.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Crap, it's in one of the forum areas only for members....Well take my word for it, 48 LEDs will not be enough! His light is a 32x12" panel, absolutely covered with led's without any gaps between.
Anyway you can save the picture and post it here?

Shaw

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
K here are his posts compilled from the thread. A "thanks" would be nice hahaha concidering it takes 1 minute to make an account, and we are a sweet bunch anyways :D

"So I've switched over my terribilis tank to LEDs so I can keep the temperature lower this summer.
I've never had any problems but during heatwaves I tend to worry.
Originally I had four T5 21W 36" bulbs (10,000K).
Now I just have one large panel of LEDs - the panel measures around 33" x 12".
The colour is a bit different - greens are not quite as vibrantly green but it's a slight difference - it's easily just as bright if not brighter.
In terms of heat the LEDs are just slightly warmer than skin temperature (instead of hot like a fluorescent bulb).

Flourescent t5's

LED's

Panel...900 total

I emailed them about the panel's specs and this was their response...

This panel is custom made
Voltage: 18-20
Current: 2A
Wattage:36W
Color temp.:6500
Each LED circuit consist of 6 serial LED voltage 3.2-3.5 +1/8watt 100Ohm resistor protection.
150x6LED in parallel circuit.

I bought it here...
LED Lights And Parts | LED Lights North Vancouver, BC | LED Lighting Vancouver | Veroboard | LED Lights Vancouver

Their website isn't that great IMO but in their little video clip I noticed the panel that I was interested in.
It was $170 for the panel and $110 for a 19V power supply ($280 before taxes).

I think the pics might be a little dark compared to reality. I tried a few times and that set seemed to show the difference between fluor vs LED the best.

Considering I went from 10,000K to 6500K the light is actually more blue/white than before. I thought the opposite would be true.

I think this picture is a closer representation of how the light actually looks (in my effort to reduce glare some of pics tend towards being dark and shadowy).

Entire tank with LEDs

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks GRIMM! I'm sure that will be a big help to some :)

Is it just me, or do his pics with the T5's look darker than they should? I would think that even through glass, a single 10k would be much brighter then that.

Scott

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah I have seen these lights and they won't be bright enough for the tank. Even though I want to get some for ambient lighting for my TV

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought those same lights to add some blue to my reef tank...they were completely overpowered by 65 Watt PC bulb. They made a good night light, but I returned them no problems. I think they wouldn't be bright enough. Try looking up ecoexotic or something like that. Its a high intensity led strip.
pj

1 - 18 of 18 Posts