Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
So I have been thinking about trying out some thumbs and I think I'm stuck between two: R. imitator "Veradero" or R. ventrimaculatus "Iquitos or Blackwater or Amazonicus".
So, people that have kept one (or better yet both) what do you think? If you had to choose just one, which one would it be and why?
Thanks in advance,
-Field

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Field,

They are both awesome frogs (I have R. varaderos and Iquitos vents). I have two groups of each and each group is different with regard to shyness. If you raise your group with a lot of foot traffic in front of the tank, they are less likely to become excessively shy.

Good luck, Richard.

Reactions: fieldnstream

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Years ago I had some of the first Todd Kelly Amazonicus that he released. I'm working with Varadero right now and we had some Understory Iquitos but recently sold them. (They were never supposed to be mine, we bought them for my brother and he changed his mind.)
I agree with Richard about boldness.
My Varadero are my favorites. Why? That's tougher. I'd say I love the metallic orange but Tarapoto and intermedius imis both have that. The blue lightning definitely comes into play. Gotta love the lightning! Then there's the legs. Those sexy blue reticulated legs! I love how my male stares me down while I'm collecting tads! I love that no two are alike. So many different patterns have been thrown just from our first pair.
Hmm, if Varadero was a corperation, I think I just wrote the commercial.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I was never happy with the boldness level of my vents so I didn't hang on to them. While there's no guarantee you'll get bold imitator, most are very bold.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I have standard vents and varadero. I'd go with the Varadero based on their call. Thats just me though, if you don't enjoy a nice loud call like the imitarors, the softer buzzing of the vents might be more your style. Both are bold for me.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Varaderos. I have both, (and three imitator pairs of other morphs) in my case the imitators are all much less flighty than the Iquitos vents/amazonica, and IMO both are equally beautiful.

If you do decide to go with the amazonica, I'd recommend keeping them under lower light, they don't seem to enjoy coming out under bright light. When I had them under dual T5's, they stuck like glue to the shade of overhead plants, even when they were out and about. With less light, they seem less afraid to be out in the open. Probably not the case with all amazonica, but a definite pattern I've seen with mine.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys. It looks like it may be Veraderos first, still think I'm going to get some Iquitos one day. They are both such amazing looking frogs. I would get both, but I'm planning on getting a group of solid orange galactonotus in a couple of months and I'm running out of room (and money)...looks like its about rack time.
P.S. Teddy I hit my daily quota of thanks...you sir will be thanked in approx. 45 minutes.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Thanks for all the responses guys. It looks like it may be Veraderos first, still think I'm going to get some Iquitos one day. They are both such amazing looking frogs. I would get both, but I'm planning on getting a group of solid orange galactonotus in a couple of months and I'm running out of room (and money)...looks like its about rack time.
P.S. Teddy I hit my daily quota of thanks...you sir will be thanked in approx. 45 minutes.
Didn't realize there was a daily quota, guess I'm not spreading around enough love haha... no thanks needed :) Either frog is a great choice, to be honest, you'll be happy either way.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I think you would be happy with both although I don't have the vents hope to eventually, I started out with Varadero and they are my favorite. Hard to beat the hot rod paint job color scheme they have.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It seems you have already made a choice, but I flipped a nickel and it landed on heads. So the first frog is the best choice. So Veradero is the best.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just realized that I titled this thread "chose" instead of "choose" which I believe proves that I am an illiterate moron...back to the point, thanks everyone for the input, the opinions have made the decision much easier.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had one choice and got varadero. Now i am hooked. I got a trio of frogs.They turned out to be all male, and are singing very softly. You have to be sitting next to the terrarium to hear them. Sad thing is they were intimidateing each other so badly i had to seperate them. So now i have three terrariums with one frog in each. They are very bold, on the glass looking out at my small dog all the time. My suggestion is to get a proven pair or a proven trio. I can always see them. They have learned what the food dish sounds like and come running. I am enjoying them. Good luck with yours.

Reactions: fieldnstream

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
They each have different qualities but like others said I'd go with the Varaderos. Really amazing frogs when it comes to behavior. Vents seem a bit more shy, but it's cool to see them in a group.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts