Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I found this red plant in a nursery with the very helpful tag of "Tropical Foliage". The people at the nursery had no idea what it was. The second pic is of a vine that has absolutely over run some of my mom's flower beds. I love it and frankly need some hard to kill plants in my viv. :) I'm not that great with plants.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The vine looks like Vinca. You could try it, but it may melt down and if it doesn't, it may well take over. The red one looks to me to be an Alternanthera of some sort. Some people use them in vivs, but if not given very bright light, the quickly lose their color and get leggy.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Just to add, there are tons of other fantastic hard to kill viv plants. There are literally hundreds of types of wandering jew in all colors and sizes. I literally have some in my plant room that is growing on a concrete floor, no soil and just whatever water it gets when I mist stuff in there and it is growing all over the place. Not to mention many peperomias are pretty tough plants, along with pothos and several types of philodendron. Dont rule out all the fun stuff just yet :)

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
The vine looks like Vinca. You could try it, but it may melt down and if it doesn't, it may well take over. The red one looks to me to be an Alternanthera of some sort. Some people use them in vivs, but if not given very bright light, the quickly lose their color and get leggy.
I agree with both your ids. For whatever reason HD now does not identify their plants...just use the term: Tropical Foliage. When you come across this, tell someone so that perhaps, in time, that will change. As I pointed out to the manager, you can't go online and check out any particular care instructions that may be specific to the plant you are buying....and I've found through experience that if you have success with one plant, chances are that you will also have success with others in the same family...but you need to know the family !

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the advice. I think I will pass on the red one, I am going to try the vine- we'll see. I do have pothos and wandering jew. The problem is they were cuttings so they are very spars, for now. Thanks again. I love that I have all these great minds to pick. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so- after a little reading on vinca it is actually toxic. It is a level 3-Minor toxicity: Ingestion may cause some minor symptoms such as rash. Would this affect pdfs? Any help on this would be great. It might look nice, but not worth risking any frogs.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
not worth risking any frogs.
I'd stick with your own advice ;). Next time you are coming south, stop by, i've got tons of good vining stuff you can pick up. I need to clean out my 75 of oak leaf fig again as well ;)

ed parker

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks mantellaprince. I think I'll do that. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts