Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a build in a Juwel 110 litre aquarium. I've got two egg-crate "tables" in there, where one has some driftwood and plants on top, at mid height (water level is around 40-50 litre), and I've got another "table" of eggcrate higher up, only a few inches from the lamps.

I've got no animals in the tank except sand snails (springtails), and fish some day in the future when my pet store decides to stock desireable fish.

Any ideas for decor for the highest table? Moss, plants etc wont do because it's too close to the light. Its quite the small surface, so nothing big will fit. I'd love something that can sit on the top and sort of drape downwards, like soft vines or something, but small. Any ideas? I've got pothos, wandering jew, moss and driftwood in the tank, but none of this fits or survives on the little perch.

·
Registered
737 Posts
You can definitely plant moss if you wanted to. Despite our image of it, moss is actually a very high light plant. Many people have a growing in their lawns in full sun. And the sun even in shade is going to be much more powerful a light source than anything we put in our vivariums even very close to the light. if you're looking for something to drape down consider Peperomia Prostrata (string of turtles).

·
Registered
297 Posts
That sounds both bright and dry to me, in which case neither moss nor Peperomia prostrata will be happy. I have a similar spot in my tank, and I’m just starting to figure out what works there. If you mist frequently you could try Tillandsias, funckiana will very slowly trail down. I’m going to try a Rhipsalis, which will eventually trail down and should give good feedback about when it needs more water by wrinkling. In your case, a pic would help to give a better idea of whether the issue is really not enough water or too much light,

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds both bright and dry to me, in which case neither moss nor Peperomia prostrata will be happy. I have a similar spot in my tank, and I’m just starting to figure out what works there. If you mist frequently you could try Tillandsias, funckiana will very slowly trail down. I’m going to try a Rhipsalis, which will eventually trail down and should give good feedback about when it needs more water by wrinkling. In your case, a pic would help to give a better idea of whether the issue is really not enough water or too much light,
It's def both dry and too much light. I initially just made the perch so I had some high ground to rest some driftwood against, and I had hoped I could get something to cling to it from the waterline (it's eggcrate covered in uh, I forget the english term, some dark cloth type stuff to keep stuff from falling into the water haha).

It's easy enough to remove, but I had hoped I could make something out of it as a perch. Especially since I only have another very small portion of "land". It should also be doable to lower it.
I'll try to get a pic when I do some trimming. I cant' seem to get the camera to co operate with the bright lights against dark cloth, haha.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have Tillandsia streptophylla and a couple of unidentified tillandsia that are absolutely thriving just a couple of inches below lights in a very dry spot where they don't routinely get misted.
I can't quite visualise what you're describing in your tank but I'd bet you could find a nice tillandsia that would fit in there and grow well.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I recently got Tillandsia paleacea ‘Enano’ which is supposed to require less water than other Tillandsias, but it doesn’t trail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts