Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a 24x18x24 viv for 2 Varaderos and I'm not sure what plants to get. I know they like Neo Broms so I plan on getting a bunch of those. But I'm stumped on foliage plants. Any recommendations? Anyone have a Varadero (or similar frog) and what works particularly well?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Largely it just a matter of aesthetics and the size of the enclosure. I find sticking to plants that stay fairly small and grow slowly make things a lot easier. Plants can be cut back but, who wants to do that all the time?

Look around on vivarium plant web sites.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm planning a 24x18x24 viv for 2 Varaderos and I'm not sure what plants to get. I know they like Neo Broms so I plan on getting a bunch of those. But I'm stumped on foliage plants. Any recommendations? Anyone have a Varadero (or similar frog) and what works particularly well?
I'd start with Peruvian plants. Although they don't ship plants to the USA, you could look up Understory Enterprises on Facebook or Instagram, or email them asking for a plant list -- a great deal of what they sell in foliage is Peruvian, so you'd get an idea of what may be in and around actual R. imitator habitat.

·
Super Moderator
3,986 Posts
Once advantage of a decent sized viv (which yours is, for a pair of imitators) is that you don't have to be quite as rigorous about making every single plant usable by the frogs.

Personally, I think there is nothing wrong (and everything right) with just neos -- that's actually what I'm leaning toward lately.

I think a vining/shingling plant that has medium-sized leaves is best for imitators -- Pellionia repens and pulchra, Philodendron pteromischum, Scindapsis pictus are some that I use -- as the frogs can traverse on top of the leaves as well as use them for cover.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Just remember it is hard/impossible to control breeding if they have deposition sites, they will raise their own tadpoles ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts