Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have decided to get a group of 3-4 Veradero Imitators and would like to rebuild my enclosure to best fit them. I want to simulate their wild habitat as close as possible with the exception of adding a few colorful plants that might not be from their native land for a nice display. I think they are from Peru.

I was hoping for advice and links/ pictures of their native habitat and other tanks that are setup well for these type of frogs. I would like to use concrete for fake rock background with a water feature, if possible. Pics of tanks that have these features would be appreciated- or if this is not a good layout for imitators, pics of other ideas that would be better suited to them.

I have raised Azureus, Leucomelas and Auratus in the past so I have a basic understanding of regular darts, but still have a lot to learn- especially with a more fragile frog.

Thanks.

·
Banned
503 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Vertically oriented, lots of broms. Technically in the wild imitators are usually not going to have a dense number of broms, but they do need broms, and in captivity, small tanks (even large tanks end up being small comparitively) your tank will need a density of broms.

Forgo the water feature. It's just going to detract from livable space.

Also, if you insist on doing a group, do a group of 4, not 3.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So really I want one male to one female in pairs? What if they are too young to be sexed?

·
Banned
503 Posts
So really I want one male to one female in pairs? What if they are too young to be sexed?
If they're too young to be sexed then hope for the best and all in all if it's not a 2.2 or a 1.3 then seperate the males. A 2.2 is better than a 1.3, because IMO you will get more frogs.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
are you sure about that? Could also have something to do with spreading out possible aggression
It's kind of an amalgam, really. One of the frogs in a trio is prone to being left out of breeding, which seems to heighten aggression as sexual competition ensues.

IME, imitators do best in pairs. But again, if you insist on doing a group setting, make it 4+, not 3.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got 4 of them. They are really tiny and hop like crazy! I'm used to bigger darts that just kind of walk around most of the time.

·
Banned
503 Posts
I got 4 of them. They are really tiny and hop like crazy! I'm used to bigger darts that just kind of walk around most of the time.
Haha, they won't be like that for long i'll tell you what. They're really jumpy for the first week but then once they settle in they just hide then hop around during feeding and misting. Can't wait until august 13 i'm getting my first thumbs :) Any pics?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts