Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on a job today and I when I was done I went poking around in the woods and found some awesome dried out stumps, limbs ect. when I collected it and when it was dry it looked a lot like ghost wood (which I don't know what type of tree that comes from and if its drift wood or?) when I got home I scrubbed it down and after it was wet it looked real red.
-so my questions are can someone tell me what type of wood it is?
-is it safe in terms of leaching out oils ect?(not so much as worried about outside factors that I should be able to take care of with sterilizing it)
-if it is a wood that leaches out stuff can make it safer by sandblasting it or baking it or something like that?

it's not going to be for a dart tank, its going to be for my new Green tree python tank, But I'm going to do the tank with a grout background and a water feature with a canister filter ect. so the wood will be damp at times if that makes a difference?

I know thats a lot of questions but this is always my go to fourm for anything like this, everyones so helpful around here:)

any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys
-Matt

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Chamaecyparis thyoides which is locally known as Atlantic White Cedar even though it technically isn't a cedar but a cypress. It is known to produce terpenoids including thujone

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I was going to say that it looks like cedar. A freshly cut surface should smell like cedar.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Looks gorgeous. Amano's recommendation on wood from resinous trees is that as long as it's been sufficiently aged/weathered, and you don't boil it, it should be safe. That's for aquatic use though, and I am assuming that weathered involves at least a couple seasons of being dead and exposed to the elements.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Looks gorgeous. Amano's recommendation on wood from resinous trees is that as long as it's been sufficiently aged/weathered, and you don't boil it, it should be safe. That's for aquatic use though, and I am assuming that weathered involves at least a couple seasons of being dead and exposed to the elements.
That is because "resins" are typically insoluble in water so they don't tend to go into solution. It is different if the wood is not submerged as the aromatics can either aerosolize and be inhaled or be taken up through skin contact (as they are lipophlilic).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow you guys are good, and fast! so I guess I'm not going to use it then cause even though my new girl hates me I'm real into her;)

I think I'll just put it in the land of misfit collected tank supplies aka the barn, for now. I really want to use all ghost wood for the tank but I've never found any place local enough that carrys it and when you order it you never know what your gonna get, I'll probably just end up ordering a whole bunch of it and what ever doesn't fit in with how I want the tank to look I'll just use for something else down the line.

thanks again everyone you guys are the best
-Matt

one quick shot of the new lady in my life couldn't hurt:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts