Dendroboard banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I've also got a 38g currently, and yes the amount that can be spent on them can get up there (around $2000 right now). I can see myself down the road setting up a tank with frogs however.

· Registered
83 Posts
reef vs. frogs

Frogs are definitely cheaper than salt water stuff(also frog calls are a lot prettier than triggers munching on coral or pistol shrimp). The part I like best about frogs is that most either are currently, or could someday be captive bred. Some of the saltwater stuff will reproduce, like your clowns,cardinalfish, seahorses, (to those who can get them to reproduce goodluck with the larval stage)etc. and a few more on farms but mostly they seem to come directly from the ocean. I like having a hobby that is self sustaining outside nature. And just to preempt any backlash I'll just go ahead and include that I am supportive of RESPONSIBLE wild caught introductions into the hobby. Sometimes captive husbandry gets a bad name (sometimes it deserves it) but many species' continued existence, plant and animal, has depended on captive reproduction.

· Registered
204 Posts
I've been a fish fanatic for over 10years now. Been keeping cichlids.

A few years back I had a custom built 280 gallon tank. Planned to keep just salt water fish...I had not anticipated the costs that sky rocketed together with the size. I had to quit.

I had refilled the tank this year though with a colony of frontosas...Guess I'll be sticking with them...

I'm really getting into vivs now and it's a totally different experience! Don't know about costs yet as I still am waiting for frogs but comparatively, vivs definitely costs less...the tank construction alone is cheaper.

This is really getting to be really addictive!

bluetip

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I certainly hope it turns out to be cheaper than reefkeeping... I have a 220 gallon mixed reef tank, a twelve gallon nano cube plus a fifty gallon planted freshwater tank!

· Registered
1,233 Posts
Damn...now that is tank!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.