Dendroboard banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not only am I learning how to use my camera but my frogs have put on a little weight and are alot less timid then when I first got them. I've had these two for about 4 months. What do you guys think?
This is their tank

[/b]

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dancing frogs said:
Looks good, how is the salaginella planted? I like how it forms a canopy...mine is always closer to the ground.
I don't have very much substrate so I barely buried it. Where the plant went in at first is pretty close to the ground, the canopy is forming from all the new shoots. BTW how does selaginella reproduce, i'm getting alot of new small shoots popping up all over the tank, mostly in the sand in the water section.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mydumname said:
My selaginella went to craps. What can I do to get it to grow?
I've been trying to propagate the clippings, only thing I've found that helps is if the substrate is constantly moist. It doesn't do too well if it dries up. This is just my short experience though.

Is anyone able to sex these two through these photos? I have some more here: http://photobucket.com/albums/v110/chro ... 20Auratus/
They both seem to be the same sex, I just don't know which that is.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
mydumname said:
My selaginella went to craps. What can I do to get it to grow?
I never had luck at first either, then I heard from a plant guru that the stuff really likes acidic conditions. (would've been nice if the place(s) I bought it from would've said something :x )So then I tried topping off my substrate with an inch of chopped spagnum moss (probably doesn't matter that it was chopped) and the stuff is growing pretty well (considering the low light conditions at the bottom of the tank) Springtails are also loving the spagnum :D .

·
Registered
68 Posts
Cody said:
Not only am I learning how to use my camera but my frogs have put on a little weight and are alot less timid then when I first got them. I've had these two for about 4 months. What do you guys think?
I don't know what your pictures were like before, but I think they look really good now. Very clear. Are you using a digital? I can't get my pictures to come out nearly that nice with a digital.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Hey cody, where did you get that selaginella uncinata? That is the best kind too use I have found. I started a plant off from a tiny little patch and it is now doing very well.

For all you others who haven't had success with selaginella, you probably had the more common form, the S. krassiana. I haven't had much success with it either. But if you get this selaginella uncinata, it does great. It is also known as rainbow moss, or blue selaginalla. The kraussiana from my experience sucks. Also, there is another form that does well, but it grows upwards, instead of outwards. Look in my vivarium's in my gallery here, and you can see it. It is in front of the big corklog I have in my 75 gallon viv.

Ed Parker

Ps. the viv looks awesome, and the frogs look great!!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the compliments 8)

Ed,
I got the selaginella from T&C terrariums, a 4" pot for 4$, at the same show I got the frogs from. I also had some clippings from Terra5designs but I don't know if they kept growing or got drowned out by the potted plant, the potted plant really took off, its starting up the cork bark now.

G

·
0 Posts
Cody they are looking very good.

Cody is that supposed to be a pair of auratus? have the male called?
For some reason in one of pictures they look like 2 females.
anyway I hope am wrong.

keep it up

Cheers

Xavier

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Xavier,
Nope no calling. Their features are almost identical so I figured they were the same sex. Do I have anything to worry about if its two females or does that not apply to auratus? I also thought the males only called in the presence of females, any truth to that?
Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Cody said:
Xavier,
Nope no calling. Their features are almost identical so I figured they were the same sex. Do I have anything to worry about if its two females or does that not apply to auratus? I also thought the males only called in the presence of females, any truth to that?
Thanks
Hi Cody,
If there is 1 male and 2 females, that is ok, but when the male calls 1 of the females may bully the other (weaker) female. Also, the male will not call unless 1 of the females is almost ready to lay eggs.
When the temp. and humidity is right it would make a difference as well to their mood. (Typically it is best to have the temp at 23-24 mornings, and 25-26 afternoons' misting at least once a day, and humidity about 80 degrees).

hope that helps...

Cheers Xavier

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up. I guess in due time I'll look into getting a male. Just to be clear it looks like both of them are females?

G

·
0 Posts
Cody in the picture that they are both together facing right i would say they are females for sure. But you never know.

How old are your frogs Cody?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Newt said:
Cody in the picture that they are both together facing right i would say they are females for sure. But you never know.

How old are your frogs Cody?
Don't know for sure, they're actually WC, I know there was no reason for me to get WC auratus but it was kind of on a whim and the opportunity was there so I jumped on it, it was a more than lucrative trade. I haven't seen any growth except for the beer bellies they recently put on, so my guess is that they are full grown. What should an average auratus weigh? I can throw them on the scale later.

Thanks again
Cody

1 - 18 of 18 Posts