Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some suggestions/tips for the following scenario:

I plan on having a well drained false bottom eggcrate set up. On top of the eggrate will be a layer of gravel to shape out most of the landscape.

Now a few questions:

1. I plan on using a lot of tropical pillow type moss for ground cover but would also like to be able to plant some terrestrial plants. Should I have a small layer of substrate (like spagnum moss maybe or 1/2 spagnum 1/2 orchid bark) under the moss areas?

2. In the spots where I am going to be planting terrestrial stuff....should I not put moss there? Or can I just cut a little hole in the moss to plant in with a substrate layer under it?

I guess I just need some tips on using moss and plants together.

Thanks so much for the help

-DET

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I think that you will find that your moss and plants will be happier with some substrate to grow on/in as opposed to just being on gravel. Even using a substrate like coco bedding, you can "sculpt" the landscape to certain extent as shown below.

http://www.dendroboard.com/coppermine/d ... =335&pos=3

That shot was taking before placing the moss in the viv.

In terms of placing moss among plants, keep in mind light requirements for the moss and whether the plants will shadow it. It's pretty easy to shape the moss around the plantings or as you put it poke a hole in the moss layer and plant.

http://www.dendroboard.com/coppermine/d ... =332&pos=3

Good luck.

Bill

·
Registered
64 Posts
it really depends on the type of gravel, some plants (such as moss) can gather enough nutrients from just plain aquarium gravel, but most will need additives, if you dont want to use a soil like coco bedding, you should use a special aquarium gravel designed for planted aquariums such as eco-complete or flourite, or alternatively or along with this kind of substrate you can add a layer of fine decomposing leaf matter over the gravel, as this decomposes it will create all the nutrients most plants need, as for the moss they require very little besides a wet substrate, humidity and good light, this is because they dont actually have a root system and do not collect nutrients from the soil :wink:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply xxll!

hehe just kidding. I do appreciate the response, I'm all set now though =)

-Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts