Dendroboard banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I am new here and new to dart frogs I started my soon to be collection with the Popular choice of D. Auratus green and black I bought them as 2 tadpoles and I have been researching about them SOOOO much soo I embarked on the journey to make a good vivarium for them and just soo you know I am 17 and have very little money sooo I built it the best I possibly could well my humidity stays good but my problem is the temp. it stays around 80 degrees Fahrenheit no matter what I have tried the trick to face a fan towards the light and nothing I even have a big fan probably not the best but a big fan in my room all day going and nothing my mom keeps the AC at around 78 degrees and wont change it I don't know why and I don't have a basement if anyone out the has fixed this problem before I would love to here how Thank you and sorry for such a long post I just want them to be taken care of for right Because I love all my animals well thanks for looking :)

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
80 is still OK for some time, although the mid 80s are where the trouble starts for some species IME.

if you can convince her (and making the money yourself might help) offer to buy and install your own window A/C unit. it can easily be removed later. they run about $100-120 for a small unit. you could even offer to pay into the electric bill for it :)

james

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's a good Idea THANKS!! but It is sooo hard getting a job right now but that is something I will definitely try Thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
when i was into reef aquariums, as a young teenager, i would mow yards for $15. where there's a will there's a way.

power washing driveways is another great way to make some money, and you can always rent equipment.

james

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright thanks for the ideas :) but I have another question I made a false bottom for my vivarium I noticed the water is kinda yellowish orange is the fine for the frogs I think it has to do with the water going through the dirt but I just want to make sure??

·
Registered
167 Posts
Alright thanks for the ideas :) but I have another question I made a false bottom for my vivarium I noticed the water is kinda yellowish orange is the fine for the frogs I think it has to do with the water going through the dirt but I just want to make sure??
As the water goes through your substrate it will change colors. Many people refer to it as a “tea color”. This is normal and fine.

Best of luck! :)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I agree with one shot. Try raising the lights a few inches from the tank. What kind of light are you using? Whats your tank size? Where in the tank are you taking the reading from? top? bottom? Also, ive used about 5 different temperature measuring devices and they are all about a degree or 2 off.

My tanks go from 73-80 in a day. At the very top of the tank i get readings of 81-82 but on the floor, I get 76-78. Theres also microclimates happening all over the tank. Under a leaf, in the shade, it could be 2 degrees cooler. Just make sure you mist, keeping the humidity up. Another trick is to put an ice cube in your water bottle b4 you mist.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
another trick!
When my tanks start to creep up past 81. Ill spray everything down on the outside of the tanks. The outer walls of the tank, the top of the lights, ect (be careful not to spray the bulb, IT WILL EXPLODE!).
The spraying acts like sweat, evaporating and cooling the outside

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I've personally found that putting ice/gel packs on the top of my viv kept the inside temperature down by a few degrees; this might be helpful if you have them chilling in your freezer ;)

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
You could also try reversing your day/night cycle. (If it wouldn't bother you while your sleeping.) Have the lights on at night when it's cooler instead of through the day.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Other than raising the light fixture, another idea is to freeze water bottles and just sit one on the top of the tank. That can help bring down the temp about 1-2 degrees and since your tank isn't super hot that might be enough. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
There are many portable (roll around) ac units so that you dont have to have a huge box sticking out your window. We used one initially when the frogroom was upstairs.

Just a thought.
i only suggested the window unit, since it doesnt use water to cool, and doesnt raise humidity like stand up units do.

james

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW you guys I woke up to this ITS AMAZING thank all of you guys soo much I really appreciate Now with all these Ideas I know me and my frogs will be OK hahaha thank you guys sooo much for all the ides :D

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yes, this forum is filled with people that are more than willing to help. I love it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What i used to do before we had AC was place a bowl of ice behind a box fan, it worked better than putting the bowl infront of the box-fan haha.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts