Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I'm gonna start out small and use a 20 gallon long I got laying around. I would like to house a pair of dendrobate auratus either blue color morph or the green panamas.....

But my help I need was will:
How many cans of great stuff will I need and what type do I need.
how many tubes of silicone and which type also.
Also on my substrate will this mixture be sufficient miracle grow organic potting soil, coco fiber, peat moss...if it needs anything feel free to let me know....
Plants which common types of plants will work in this size of tank..
and my final question the egg crate and glass top where is the best place to get these....
If there is links to any of these also can you plz post thank you brian

·
Registered
446 Posts
You dont have to use great stuff for the background. I use clay (cat litter) love it.

NO NO NO on the miracle grow.. you want nothing with any additives in it. Will be harmful to the frogs.
I used scotts organic.. which is 100% peat moss and sphag moss mixed with some orchid mix and loose sphag moss and coco fiber.

Eggcrate and glass tops get at lowes. Lowes will cut the size you need of glass. You will also need screen to put down on egg crate to hold soil up.

I built an extra viv yesterday.. used no silicone.. a 25lb bag of special kitty (red bag so no additives) $2.50... used no great stuff... built an egg crate false bottom with egg crate support...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill look into the clay backgrounds.....sojust regular organic potting soil. And tank you on the glass and egg crate at Lowes. Also I forgot ab the screen thank you for reminding me

·
Registered
8 Posts
One can of foam should be enough for a 20 long. Probably 2 tubes silicone(black), depending on if you plan on covering the sides of the glass to hide the foam and whatnot.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I actually took my 2.1 Black/Blue Auratus out of a 20 long yesterday and built my other 18x18x24 exo for them so they have more comfortable space.

The above info is good for the great stuff background.. Thanks martin.

I prefer clay as I have moss and things growing on it. It is easily removable or moldable. Super cheap.. a $2.50 bag will do 2 large tanks. There are several threads on clay tanks.

Get some pics up of the process and feel free to ask any other questions.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
you dont need any "soil" at all. i prefer the tried and true method of gravel (or LECA etc.) placed a few inches thick, with a layer of log fiber sphagnum moss (available at lowes) on top. then put a layer of cleaned dead leaves on top of that. (you can collect and clean them yourself, or buy them from people on this site)

on a 20L i would just go buy a top. the full hoods are good for those tanks as they are pretty escape proof (once a few small holes are filled) this is what i use :
Perfecto Fluorescent Recessed Full Hood Black Hoods

using a piece of glass on a tank that long will be a huge pain in the rear, and the fact that its so short and that opening one piece of glass will create a large gap, you may be inviting your frogs to get out.

i would suggest no background at all in a 20L. its just too short. your tank can look excellent with just the leaf litter, a bushy plant or 2, and a piece of driftwood. you can add coco huts for the frogs security as well, but the leaf litter, and driftwood, can be enough if done properly.

most importantly get some FFs going and get your supplements in. your going to need a misting bottle (new) and a thermometer as well. you should also pick up some little glad containers for dusting flies etc.

james

·
Registered
446 Posts
+1 to everything james said... I tore down my 20 long as it wasnt tall enough for my liking.

A background would be a futile effort on a tank that short.. especially with a decent drainage layer.

I have about a 10" piece of glass.. then a hinge.. then the rest glass on mine. I plan on siliconing in the 10" piece of glass and going vert on mine for my variablis or some imis.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK thank u guys for the hlp and all....what do u think ab a background on 10 gallon tank....

·
Registered
446 Posts
I put a little bit of clay on my 10vert.... Good thing about clay in such a small tank is you can make it really thin.. so doesnt take away from floor space. Compared to spraying a big thick mess of spray foam on lol.
You could do one in a 10 if you wanted.. its all personal preference. I have backgrounds in all of my tanks now.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again.... what do you think about common plants for a 10 or 20 gallon tank...I wnt vines, broms, and maybe some flowering plants that stay small

1 - 10 of 10 Posts