Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been reading up and looking for what I'm asking about with no luck, so here it is...

-I'm looking for a ff media recipe that can be easily be purchased in socal, complies with our weather, and doesn't stink.

-Every time I buy some...they work great and don't smell. When I try a recipe from this site...they either mold over, or smell.

-My collection is growing and id like to cut costs as much as possible, so any tips or advice, or good recipes, would be much appreciated.

thanks, tommy

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't live in California, but i've recently used this recipe...

1 cup of powdered sugar
4 teaspoons Methyl paraben (mold inhibitor)
8 cups potato flakes
1 cup of brewers yeast
1-2 tablespoons of cinnamon

I've been using this for the past few months and have had success with minimizing odor. The cinnamon is a strong smell, so it diminishes the bad smells and when i make cultures the media smells like cinnamon oatmeal. It is relatively inexpensive to make and each batch makes about 30 cultures if you use 1/3 cup of media. I'm not sure if this is what your looking for but I figured it may be worth a try.

·
Registered
278 Posts
the stuff from repashy works GREAT.. smells good.. honestly for the couple bucks difference it's worth it to me.. I don't have to mix it.. I know the combination of ingrediants is correct, and they work. I order mine from NEherp and get the BIG bag.. that stuff lasts forever. I used to do homemade.. but then I tried it once and now I don't even bother.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
The modified Carolina mixes described above do not smell bad unless I used them for hydei or had to clean out crashed cultures that were still moist. I'll send you a pm since we shouldn't be giving feedback outside of the appropriate section of the forum..

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts