Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went down to the bio depertment today at my school to talk with my ecology professor about D. auratus, he studies them in Costa Rica everyear, unfortunately he had no idea on how to care for them in captivity. But he did take me downstairs and introduce me to the entomoligist. I told him I needed fruit flys for my darts and he gave me a trashcan. The thing was full of vials each with at least 50 fruit flies. I took a few, he also gave me a few fresh vials with a few adults to get a good next generation. I also have access to free medium, vials, and unlimited flies. It worked out pretty well for me 8) I just have to try to catch him some fruit flies in my backyard (any ideas) as well as bring in some of the mutations that are available online.

Anyways he had d. hydei and d. melanogaster but didn't want to take them out and contaminate what he was working with so he gave me a few different types.

Will D. immigrans and D. simulans work?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also how do I keep these dang things from getting away? Im thinking about buying a CO2 regulator so I can knock them out, dust them, and then put them in the tank.

For now Im just leaving the open vial in the tank. Im planning on going back and getting some curly wings and in the near future I will be ordering some different ones but I just need to know how to take care of these first.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Awe, the art of feeding FFs. Rarely have I ever seen this discussed in much detail...go figure.

1. I get an empty 24oz or 32oz plastic insect culturing jar and coat it with Rep-Cal and Herptivite (very important because it makes walking up the side very difficult for the FFs).

2. Before I open the lid, I tap several times to get the FFs to fall to the bottom and open the lid quickly all the while tapping the side. Now, as you begin to tilt the jar in a 30 degree (the steeper the angle the more likely the FF media will come out, which is messy) pouring motion towards the empty vitamin powder culturing jar start to tap a little more vigorously until you have enough FFs. Tilt the FF container back up while tapping and quickly put on the lid.

3. Swirl the new FF in the vitamin powder and they can't climb!

I've gotten pretty damn good at this! Practice makes perfect.

Cody said:
Also how do I keep these dang things from getting away? Im thinking about buying a CO2 regulator so I can knock them out, dust them, and then put them in the tank.

For now Im just leaving the open vial in the tank. Im planning on going back and getting some curly wings and in the near future I will be ordering some different ones but I just need to know how to take care of these first.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Cody,
You don't want to use "wild" fruit flies. Why? They fly. The types offered for food are genetically altered to prohibit or inhibit flight. The hop, glide or crawl. So the frogs can eat them. FFs that can fly would be too dificult for the frogs to catch or they'd fly to the top of your tank. Just a suggestion so you can avoid a potential nighmare of flying FFs in your house.
Mike

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
also, if you stick the flies in the refrigerator for maybe 30 seconds to a minute, or very briefly in the freezer (10 seconds or longer ifneeded), then that will really slow down the flies until they warm back up. It works great to keep them from climbing.

Ed Parker

G

·
I've heard of people feeding flyers to their frogs successfully. If you dust them, they can't fly (until they've cleaned themselves up). If you leave a piece of fruit in the tank, the flies will congregate their, and I've seen my frogs snap gnats out of the air. Maybe some flying ffs would be the added exercise my leucs need?

-Tad

·
Registered
696 Posts
Tad,
Sure they can get the "fliers" but how many and what size tank and...etc. And if they got loose (which they always do) it would be an anoying mess.
As for your Leucs one word Treadmill! :p
Mike

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mantellaprince20 said:
also, if you stick the flies in the refrigerator for maybe 30 seconds to a minute, or very briefly in the freezer (10 seconds or longer ifneeded), then that will really slow down the flies until they warm back up. It works great to keep them from climbing.

Ed Parker
Thats exactly what I was looking for :D , I've also noticed they slow down alot at night but definately not enough. Thats going to be alot easier than CO2 or Ether :lol: I have yet to let any go, I put them in an empty vial with a funnel and powdered them then put the whole vial with a slice of orange in it in the enclosure, removed the top and snaped it shut.

The frogs are in quarintine, a small shoebox size enclosure, one for each frog for now, probably going to put them together next week. Its full of sphangum, some stacked slate, a small water dish, some small broliad pups, and some selaginella clippings, so its pretty dense, I dont think they are going to have a hard time catching them, its finding them that may be difficult. They are fat now though, and they are coming off a crix only diet, from when I got them :oops:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts