Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a big topic on here I’ve been going over it for the last few dats just

So the vivarium is about originally was 3 weeks old the plants have only been in for about a week. I noticed mold before the plants so I replaced the substrate and then planted the plants. But now it’s all the way up the back log and across the floor. There are some spring tails in there about 3/4 of a smaller deli cup. The tank is a exo Terra and I have a plexiglass top with about a 1 inch screen cut to the front (top). Problem is the frogs will be here Wednesday and I’ve already glued the top down so adding a vent to the back for cross venting is gonna be hard. I did put a stand up fan outside the tank to blow some air at the tank hoping to help move some air out. Also the mistaking runs 3 times a day for 6 seconds. I know it’s all common for the most part just curious to see what degree people have had that happen and their time frames. Also trying to figure out how to post pictures via cell phone on the browser app 🏼

·
Registered
387 Posts
Re: I know this is a big topic on here I’ve been going over it for the last few dats

For pictures, upload them to Imgur, then you can link the BBcode for the image.

As for mold, it's all dependent on each persons setup/environment. What is your overall humidity and temperature in the Viv? You might need to add some more springtails as well as isopods to help chow down that mold. Besides that, I'd setup a temp enclosure for the frogs that are on the way. That way you can deal with the mold as well as QT in coming frogs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For pictures, upload them to Imgur, then you can link the BBcode for the image.

As for mold, it's all dependent on each persons setup/environment. What is your overall humidity and temperature in the Viv? You might need to add some more springtails as well as isopods to help chow down that mold. Besides that, I'd setup a temp enclosure for the frogs that are on the way. That way you can deal with the mold as well as QT in coming frogs.

https://imgur.com/gallery/A3qQzU6 temp is about 70-75 degrees and humidity is 80 ish not convinced I trust the hydrometer so I’m going to get a new one in a few.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Re: I know this is a big topic on here I’ve been going over it for the last few dats

Greetings,

Open your viv and let it dry out for a day - this will set-back the mold. Then slowly re-moisten the viv making sure not to leave it wet (which will encourage the mold to return). Hopefully if you keep things drier the mold will stay better in check. This is not a guarantee, however.

Ideally you should have waited longer after setup to get your frogs - for exactly this reason. New setups take time to stabilize and mold problems are a pretty frequent issue after a new setup (especially until you get your watering/moisture level right).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Luckily I can wait on the frogs it’s a local guy. Just don’t want to lose out on them because no one else seems to have them a I hate the idea of shipping.

·
Super Moderator
2,691 Posts

Good advice from Tihsho and kimcmich, up there. I wanted to add that I would be ready with a backup plan when that Cholla wood rots. I don't believe that it is going to hold up in a humid environment, so be ready for that to occur (if I am right about it being Cholla wood!).
Best of luck,

Mark

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts

Pulling out all the sphagnum on the substrate and replacing it with lots of leaf litter will help reduce the excess humidity a bit, and will give the frogs the choice between dry substrate (on the leaf litter) and wet substrate (under the leaf litter) that they need.

Improving the ventilation (ideally, with something you can vary according to season, temps, ambient humidity, amount of plant growth in the viv, etc) should be a priority as well.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

Pulling out all the sphagnum on the substrate and replacing it with lots of leaf litter will help reduce the excess humidity a bit, and will give the frogs the choice between dry substrate (on the leaf litter) and wet substrate (under the leaf litter) that they need.

Improving the ventilation (ideally, with something you can vary according to season, temps, ambient humidity, amount of plant growth in the viv, etc) should be a priority as well.
This, along with the rest of the advice I'm this thread, is great advice.

I would remove the cholla wood now, it's unlikely to last well in your vivarium, and it's easier to remove our before the frogs are added than afterwards... ;-)

·
Registered
387 Posts

I think the main source of your mold is from the Cholla wood. It either needs to stay dry or be submerged, there isn't an in between. Removing that wood would remove 75% of the problem. The other option, since there are no frogs in there is misting the mold area with hydrogen peroxide. It might damage the plants, but it won't leave any nasty chems in the tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well crap. The wood is gone now. That’s all my local pet store has its been weeks too. As far as leaf litter goes that to is gone from everywhere so I’m just going to boil some oak leaves from my back yard.

·
Registered
867 Posts

Greetings again,

The mold on the cholla will eventually pass but until it fully absorbs the nutrients present, it will always be prone to return. I can give you other pointers on trying to salvage this setup but I agree with the other posters: cholla wood is not a good choice for warm/moist vivs. I looks cool but it only works, long term, in dry reptile enclosures (ain't no cholla in the jungle).

If you are attached to the cholla in the tank, you can try a heavy rinse (perhaps with a peroxide bath & soak beforehand). This may disrupt/remove the key nutrients allowing the mold to bloom and a different dominant organism might take over. You'll only know if it works after the mold doesn't return - so you need to be prepared to wait.

The right long term solution is no cholla - replace it with manzanita, ghost wood, driftwood or cork. I also agree with replacing the moldy substrate components and then adding some leaves.

·
Registered
387 Posts

If you're going to pull out all of that substrate, I'd recommend adding a hidden drain to the enclosure. It looks like you have a small layer of inert media as a drainage layer, but it doesn't look deep. Having the false bottom with a drain will offer an easy maintenance port to drain the tank if too much water builds up over time.

What substrate were you using? If you don't have leaf litter, you might just want to order some ABG mix from Josh's Frogs or GlassBoxTropicals and just get some leaf litter that is ready to go there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you're going to pull out all of that substrate, I'd recommend adding a hidden drain to the enclosure. It looks like you have a small layer of inert media as a drainage layer, but it doesn't look deep. Having the false bottom with a drain will offer an easy maintenance port to drain the tank if too much water builds up over time.

What substrate were you using? If you don't have leaf litter, you might just want to order some ABG mix from Josh's Frogs or GlassBoxTropicals and just get some leaf litter that is ready to go there.
It is forest Spagna moss, coco fiber, and repti bark. And the drainage layer is about 2 inches of clay balls. There is a tube already it’s just hidden. Also took all the old wood out and put in some Malaysian driftwood/ cork. And added leaf litter. Currently have the mister off and picked out all the mold I seen in the substrate. Laid the leaf litter over the top and we’ll see how it goes. The tank has really dried out the substrate is still damp but the plants need that to thrive right?? Here is the current picture https://imgur.com/gallery/9V9UP1H

·
Registered
867 Posts

Greetings,

The plants can handle drier air if the substrate stays moist for their roots - you don't need to dry out the lower layers of your substrate. Without the Cholla I'd guess you won't see the mold bloom as badly again. You can likely go ahead and close the viv and re-start misting.

This being your first viv there are lots of lessons to learn. But if you are patient and diligent it's pretty easy to keep happy and healthy frogs. They aren't nearly as concerned about the aesthetics of their enclosures as we are :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts