Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just added a probable male into my viv with a well established (and fat) female. I'm over 90% sure its a male... toe pads are big and the body just looks like a male. It's a 20H and heavily planted viv.

On the up side, she is following him around and seems extremely interested. She rubs his back, nudges him, and follows him EVERYWHERE.

My concern is that she seems to be a bit aggressive. She sits on top of the coco hut and dive bombs him when he doesn't pay attention. She even tries to find him at night instead of going into her normal little cave. She'll hardly let him eat, although he still has a healthy appetite, but it's starting to look more like bullying than just interest. He sneaks and stretches for food while she jumps on him and climbs on him and he doesn't really seem that bothered, except he gets NO peace.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Thats a tough call, Is the male not eating?? My females generally always end up getting more food than the males, but the males still get a significant amount....Id say as long as she's not "wrestling"(assuming u know what this looks like) him I would let them go for a few days and most likely you will have eggs. She should settle down at least a little bit after she lays some eggs.

My frogs court quite a bit. EX. My matecho pair will lay a clutch of 10 on a tuesday, and on thursday the male will be calling and the female stroking his back, but they won't actually lay eggs and fertilize. They usually wait another 6-8 days before they lay again.

Another example in my case, is with the Yellowbacks, my male has the loudest tinc call I've ever personally heard. He calls almost on a daily basis, but again they breed every 5-7 days...

I would just be patient with them...if u see some courting leave the frog room/ tank area....and don't go back til the next day, sometimes they need to be left alone to do their thing...epecially when they are first getting started. So give them a few days with each other just feed a little extra food if you think he's not getting enough. This seems like normal behavior IME with tincs...maybe video documentation would show different. Good Luck!

BTW(My Giant Orange courted and bred, for over 12 hours yesterday) I closely would monitor from the door of the frog room once i saw them in the hut...When i finally saw the male out from the hut...I found a clutch of what looks to be 8 good eggs...If i even walked into the room the male would hop out and female would follow. My best advice is to leave them alone, if they are not wrestling

·
Registered
70 Posts
yea i agree with just keeping a close monitor on the male..if hes eating well the female will probably calm down a little like mentioned before.
good luck

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys... I'm thinking its OK because the male is eating fine and doesn't seem bothered. The female just has a history of being abnormally aggressive so I've been concerned.

I checked in this morning before work and noticed what appeared to be a few eggs hidden in the log where they stayed last night. The problem is that it's the most difficult place in the whole viv for me to get to and I can hardly see. It stays fresh and moist back there without pooling up and if anything slides off the log, it falls into a mossy, flowing pool so it would seem like the perfect spot (for them). I'm going to see if I can get a better look this afternoon.

IF they were actually eggs, any advice on how to move them? (I know this is turning into a breeding discussion at this point)

I'm getting excited because my Tinc male is calling and the female is acting interested so there's a possibility there, and I'm almost positive my two auratus juveniles are a pair... I could have a busy few months! :)

fingers crossed!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only have one coco hut with a petri dish in the azureus viv...and only this one pair in there. It's grown up quite a bit so coco huts are tough to fit in without pulling out some plants (which could be an option but the visual barriers are nice to have with azureus). There are lots of small caves and hides in it though... some were actually pushed out by my female. I can snap some photos of it when I get home later tonight if that will help.

I'm working on a 55 gallon setup for my tincs right now and a 40 breeder for my azureus pair... I just haven't finished them yet. Then I was going to move my Leucs into the 20 high.... but space hasn't been an issue with my tinc pair.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well I went home and was about to check, but they were both in the Coco hut! :) I didn't want to disturb them... fingers crossed!

Boyd

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure enough, I found their first clutch of eggs in the coco hut last night. Most of the eggs were bad, but one was good! She has also calmed down a bit, although she follows him around everywhere.

thanks!

Boyd

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol yeah no kidding...

one is definitely better than none... hoping my tincs pick it back up too. fingers crossed...

Boyd

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
turns out, my tincs laid a beautiful clutch of 7 good eggs today in my science class! :)

Yes, We're raising dart frogs in 7th & 8th grade science... mostly since I don't have a frog room at home yet lol. The kids are LOVING it.

Now my azureus pair are calling/back rubbing again so I have a feeling this weekend will yield another clutch.

Boyd

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
actually they laid a perfectly good clutch again today (thursday)... last clutch was monday afternoon... this is a pair of freaks! He's still calling and she's still back rubbing... hilarious.

One looks like siamese twins though... this happen often? I've seen another post but never thought I'd see it in person.... and in my science classroom!

Boyd

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
my BYH were like that for a while but all the eggs were turing bad, they would court ilke 3-4 times week and lay eggs every time they courted....now they lay at most twice a week, mainly once...and most of their eggs are good...Make sure to monitor them for the next few weeks months, i they are laying every three days make sure the male is eating. Females can be selfish and not let the poor guy eat, because they will just constantly try to breed with him. What your going through now though is a perfectly normal thing.

Congrats BTW...also just to clarify, you're working with 2 pairs?? One at home and one in your class??

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks!

I'm working with one new azureus pair at home (1 clutch so far) and a proven pair of tincs (in class) that have a history of being very "productive". The eggs look great and are doing well from the tincs (cobalts). The one egg I saved from the first azureus clutch is starting to go bad.

I've been feeding them lots of flies and both are eating well. The male is still calling ALL day long and the female is still just chasing him around, rubbing his back. I'm keeping them well fed though.

One thing that I found odd was what looks to be siamese twins in one of the tinc eggs in today's clutch... I don't expect it to be viable, but it should be interesting to watch. Anyone else have experience with this? I'll post up picks this afternoon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts