Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently started working on my first vivarium, it is a 20 gallon horizontal tank (still have to put the plants and everything in), I was planning on getting 3 epipedobates Anthonyi. But I recently read and heard that the calls of these frogs are very loud, since I am either gonna keep the frogs in my living room or in my bedroom, I concluded that I had a problem :p. so here are a few options:

1. I will still get the 3 epipedobates because the call might not be very annoying or loud (your opinions?)
2. I will only get female epipedobates. (Is this possible? or is it not recommended) (any experience?)
3. I will get a 2 or 3 Ranitomeya ventrimaculata, (their call is significantly quieter (I think)). the only problem is that you can't keep them at room temperatures in which the epipedobates are able to live.

If I would go for option #3. How am I gonna heat up my tank, because I haven't got anything installed to heat it.

Or are the Ranomtomeya able to live with temperatures around 20 C? (68 F)

Or have you guys maybe got an option #4 or #5 (some other species of frogs that can live at room temperatures and that have a quieter call)

Thanks for your answers.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I keep my vents next to my E. Anthonyi tank.
"General Care: Optimum temperature range of 70°F – 80°F, while some keepers report that temps as low as 55°F are okay." This quote is from the Dendroboard care sheet for R. Ventrimaculatus.

And yes the Anthonyi are very loud and mine call all day long. I can hear them as I type this through the frog room door. I hope this helps!:)

·
Super Moderator
5,021 Posts
I'll take a stab at these:

1) I don't really mind their call. I have a 3.3 group of Santa Isabels in my room and they call constantly. It is during daylight hours so I am awake or it wakes me up and encourages me to not be lazy and lay in bed all day haha

2) This is possible. I have never heard of any female aggression issues with epipedobates outside of occasional egg eating (mine do that).

3) Yes, their call is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter. When I kept ventrimaculata... I had no problems with my room temps in the upper 60s during the winter. During the day the lights heat the tank up to the low 70s and it falls back to the 60s at night. So... temperatures like that should not be an issue.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
My anthonyi call until midnight. Their call doesn't bother me or effect how I sleep one bit. Eventually you don't even hear them unless you're trying to pay attention.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Another thing you may or may not have considered:
Lights can potentially heat up your tank significantly, especially if you are using CFL bulbs close to the tank. My 40g without lights is about 69 degrees but can reach 81 during the day with all four lights on it (2 jungle dawn leds and 2 CFL). You don't see many posts recommending heating.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lights can potentially heat up your tank significantly, especially if you are using CFL bulbs close to the tank. My 40g without lights is about 69 degrees but can reach 81 during the day with all four lights on it (2 jungle dawn leds and 2 CFL). You don't see many posts recommending heating.
Yea, the light might warm the tank up a bit, I think im going to get 2 ventrimaculatus.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Get the vents, my SI are so loud they wake me up. They start at the crack of dawn and for those of us who are up late for work this is annoying. My vents are much quieter and are more bold.

·
Super Moderator
5,021 Posts
Get the vents, my SI are so loud they wake me up. They start at the crack of dawn and for those of us who are up late for work this is annoying. My vents are much quieter and are more bold.
Your vents are more bold than your SIs? I would have never even put them on the same level. From everything I have ever seen (including the one's I've kept myself) SIs are much more bold.

Also, keep in mind that a 20L is not really ideal for vents... They'll probably do fine but if I were starting from scratch I'd be doing it as a vertical tank.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Your vents are more bold than your SIs? I would have never even put them on the same level. From everything I have ever seen (including the one's I've kept myself) SIs are much more bold.

Also, keep in mind that a 20L is not really ideal for vents... They'll probably do fine but if I were starting from scratch I'd be doing it as a vertical tank.
Yeah, maybe mine are just strange but they are always out and I can walk to the glass and open it and they will just sit there. But I didn't factor in the horizontal tank.

OP is it too late to get a conversion kit?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

20 Gallon* not a 20 liter xD

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, maybe mine are just strange but they are always out and I can walk to the glass and open it and they will just sit there. But I didn't factor in the horizontal tank.

OP is it too late to get a conversion kit?
Yes it is already too late for a conversion kit but it is still quite high, and it has alot of driftwood inside of it, its gonna look like the peninsula by Grimm. its also gonna have 2 or 3 broms. I think that all is gonna be enough for only 2 vents.
but let me know what you think. not that i end the discussion here :eek:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yes it is already too late for a conversion kit but it is still quite high, and it has alot of driftwood inside of it, its gonna look like the peninsula by Grimm. its also gonna have 2 or 3 broms. I think that all is gonna be enough for only 2 vents.
but let me know what you think. not that i end the discussion here :eek:
That should be fine for two vents... Heads up they breed like rats! I have 4 tads two weeks old, 3 hatched today, and 9 eggs developing. So two can quickly become more!!!

·
Registered
574 Posts
20 Gallon* not a 20 liter xD
I believe he was referring to a 20 gallon long tank which may not have enough height space for vents. Since a 20 gallon long tank has dimensions of 30 x 12 x 12, after the false bottom and substrate there may only be about 7 inches or so of usable height space.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also just got some jungle dawns (rated at 9w and 13w) on a 29g. They do heat the tank a tad, and you can feel it towards the top of the tank. Its not anything radical though

My house can get cold in the winter, so I may keep a CFL or two on hand to help heat it in the winter. During a real cold spell reversing the light cycle to run at night can help too.

I've been pondering a heat mat, but there's several ways that could go wrong and super-heat the tank by accident imo.

Anyone keep a non-electric based heat source for just-in-case of a winter power outage (sorry, a little OT I know)?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts