Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am new to dart frogs, the only experience I have with frogs are Tree frogs and Fire belly toads. I have alot of aquariums right now and breed angelfish.

Whenever I want to try something new, I do alot of research and reading, I lot for photos on the net and articles written and buy a book or 2. then I arrange the articles and graphics on a cd and present them to my husband. And we go from there. One thing I don't understand is the heating method when you get a froglet. I understand about the container, the things you should add for comfort, such as leafs, substrate and hiding places and keeping it humid, but how does one heat the little box?

Another question is. What is the best way to heat a tank for Dart frogs? Under the tank pads? cables? Lights?

Thanks so much for this forum.

Kay

·
Registered
850 Posts
First, are you talking about a quarantine container, ie rubbermaid shoebox, or an actual tank. Even if you plan on putting these froglets in a shoebox at first, you should have a tank set up well before you get them. If you find you need to heat the shoebox, I would just put an incadescent bulb over it and adjust the distance of the bulb for the desired temp. Or if you have your tank set up, you might find it warm enough simply sitting the box next to it. Either way get a temp/humidity gauge (you can get digital ones at Wal-Mart for $15) and make sure everything is ideal before you go and purchase frogs. Temps should be 75-80F and humidity 80-100%

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chicago Frogger too!

Hi Kay!

I, too, am in Chicago, South Loop-ish. All winter I had very few issues with cold & heat. Trouble can come in the summer, depending on how warm your place gets. (My frogs move to a shady hallway, as we have SW exposure in our place.)

As far as heating, when it did get really cold in our place, and before the radiators came on, I had put a plain old heating pad between my 2 tanks, and turned it on low. Just check your temp gage, and you should be fine.

What do you plan on getting? My husband was very generous with my frog "issues" as he calls it. We now have 7, 3 tanks & one shoebox with froglets, and he's getting a 55 gal from a coworker. First thought? Oh goody, now I get to set up a big tank for a "tribe" of leucs! heh!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All depends on the temps in the room where you plan to keep the frogs. I see you are also from chicago so i assume you have a AC/Heated home. I keep my thermostat at 70 degrees in the winter. With the lights over the tank the temps are at about 80 degrees constantly. I also have a water feature in my tank and have a fish tank heater in the false bottom set to 76 degrees.

The best bet is to set the tank up for 1-2 months prior to getting the frogs and monitoring the temps/humidity for a while. I think you will be more concerned about the humidity than the temps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the replys. Nice to know there are a few people in Chicago. I live in the midway airport area.

I do plan on having a tank ready. with my angelfish I'll set up a tank and wait 2 months befre putting in a fish. I have 6 tanks for the Angels. I have a few empty ones sitting here. I love tropical plants, I have 15 different air plants , to keep them alive in the house they are in a tank with a waterfall. I have an extra waterfall sitting in my fish/frog room.

I checked out the Chicago Reptile company in Orland park last weekend and they have local breeders that supply them with the frogs. azureus, tinctorius is all that I saw .

My husband likes the looks of tinctorius 'Oelemari', I like a few of them if not all.

But the tank will be set up way before we get the frogs. I have never rushed into an animal purchase.

All of your ideas are great! Thank you again!

Kay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts