Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found out this week that I live 5 miles from andys orchids. So of course I had to make an appointment for a tour/purchasing mission. Holy bejesus there are a lot of AMAAAAAAZING orchids there! Stuff I've never seen, even more I've never heard of, and stuff I have only seen before in books. The people were so gracious and knowledgable it's crazy. I got so many ideas on other viv suitable orchids, orchids for my patio, and they only talked me out of about $150...THIS TIME.
Since we were talking Viv orchids, they have asked mento help compile a list of proven Viv winners that they can use as a helpful guide to newer Viv creators ordering orchids for the first time, so please post what has worked for you here if you don't mind.

For so-cal people, they will be vending the Pomona reptile show in January.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since andys came up recently in the plant sterilizing thread, I asked about pests and insecticides. They DO occasionally spray, so make sure to ask about it when you order. One more reason to wash/ soak/ qt your plants before use. And there are sti potentially small bush snails on the plants, so qt! Sterilize! And use good plant growing practicesto ensure you don't introduce any pests into your tanks

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
For so-cal people, they will be vending the Pomona reptile show in January.
Wow! I think that is new for them. Thanks for the notice. I try to keep up with Andy's shows on their website, but I had missed that one.

Looks like they are going to be at an orchid show at the Westminster Mall in mid-February. Its a nice show with free parking and free admission if you just want orchids and don't care about the reptile stuff.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be making andys a regular trip for any so cal froggers that want to join me. No need to wait for a show when I can peruse their ENTIRE COLLECTION... complete with the most knowledgable orchid folks I've ever met. Phender, we should make it a mission, and hit bird rock tropicals same day, since bird rock is just a mile or so from there! Let me know

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
When I called them a while ago, they said they didn't make weekend appointments, but hey, Christmas vacation is coming up!

We could hit Andy's, Bird Rock and Kartuz (although Kartuz is sometimes a little bare in the winter).

Reactions: evolvstll

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Jason (evolvstll) you feeling like joining us? :D

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'de like to join you guys especially being that majority of my orchids came from andy's

sigh - maybe when my job releases it's grip on me ...someday.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No pics. I felt weird asking, and honestly the greenhouses were so damp my nikon might have been compromised

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Ah well, I can't answer to the camera thing, since I just have a cheap point and shoot. However, when I went to a local wholesale/retail, sells on the Internet, nursery and asked if I could take pics of their plants to post on a message board for orchid enthusiasts, they fell over themselves getting out of my way so I could shoot. :D

·
Registered
739 Posts
Awwwwwwwwww I am SO jealous!! Damn, it sucks living in Seattle, there's hardly any cool tropical nurseries. Just reading your post about the trip makes me want to take a vacation to come down there.

Everything they say about Andy's is true, they are amazing. Their plants are great, their staff are great..they're just great! I spoke on the phone with Andy and on another occasion Harry, and they are both solid folks- as nice as can be and very knowledgeable.

Now I need to build a newer, bigger viv for more plants ;)

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You don't know much about Seattle! I just moved from there and there are some amazing places to visi and get plants. Have you been to the UW greenhouse yet?

·
Registered
739 Posts
You don't know much about Seattle! I just moved from there and there are some amazing places to visi and get plants. Have you been to the UW greenhouse yet?
That's true, I don't know much about Seattle, I kinda live in a bubble lol. Speaking specifically about the actual city of Seattle, I hate driving downtown. I live north, in Lynnwood.

No I haven't been to the UW greenhouse...it's open to the public? And do they sell plants?

When I was a teenager I was really into plants, gardening, herps, etc, especially ferns and carnivorous plants, and weird plants. My dad used to take me to small 'mom and pop' type nurseries back then. Since I was so young we always got good deals from those places because the nursery owners were excited that a young'n was interested in their hobby and they wanted to make sure to keep the interest up. There was a cp nursery called "Oudeans Willow Creek" nursery...also there was a fern place called Barfod's Ferns that was like 2 minutes from where we lived, and I helped out there in trade for ferns :) There was also a lady named Judith Jones that worked at Barfod's, but she split off and created her own fern nursery called 'Fancy Fronds'. I visited her place years ago too.

Aaaannnyway, you have piqued my interest regarding these 'amazing places to visit and get plants'. Sorry, but now I will be forced to keep bugging you to * please * message me a list of your top plant places in the Puget Sound area. :) :D :)

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Awwwwwwwwww I am SO jealous!! Damn, it sucks living in Seattle, there's hardly any cool tropical nurseries. Just reading your post about the trip makes me want to take a vacation to come down there.
No need: Andy's Orchids is a vendor every year at the Seattle Flower & Garden Show.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Andy's Orchids is great for Internet orders and shipping too. I have ordered a couple times with them and got really nice plants and great customer service.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its so hard to walk through their greenhouses! Floor to ceiling of epicness! And you wouldnt believe the crazy random plants popping up everywhere. Weird peperomias, ferns etc etc. Cn't wait to go back

1 - 20 of 21 Posts