Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I hope someone can help me with my costa rican auratus. he is about 5 months old, and just today I noticed that when he tries to eat, he does not catch anything. I saw him chasing flies down like crazy, and repeatedly try to eat them, but he never got one. It is almost as if his tongue is too short. I have also noticed that my captive breed aurantiaca's do the same thing occasionally. I just am concerned because my auratus seems to be losing weight. He does actively pursue food though. Is it some genetic screw up possibly that occurs in captive breed frogs? or is a deficiency of some sort, temp related maybe, or humidity? I hope someone can help me before the problem gets serious. THanks all,

Ed Parker

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did that, well, not with pedialyte, but an electrolyte. It is the electrolyze that you can buy at pet stores. He seems to get more active, but, he still has a hard time getting food into his mouth. Thanks for the suggestion though. That was the first thing I thought about.

Ed

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
This is usually a deficiency (I think vit A of all things but can't remember for sure). I would make sure your multivitamin powder is fresh. There is more info on this in Amphibian Medicine and Husbandry but mine is still in storage so I can't look it up. Hopefully somebody else will help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts