Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit of back story here. I left over the summer to do my research in Panama, and had Zach watch my frogs while I was gone. Unfortunately, summer came with a number of rather hot days which potentially stressed the frogs. I came back and found that I still had this trio of leucs that I've had for the last few years, which is good as they were my first frogs.

A couple months after the hot weather, I didn't see any of the leucs in the tank, and just figured they had went into hiding for whatever reason. Days turned into weeks and weeks into months, and after a couple of months, I decided to call it, especially since I had poked through looking around for them in their usual hiding spots and didn't see anyone. I left the tank up and didn't put anything else in because I had figured that I could use it as a greenhouse.

I moved on and got 5 more leuc froglets to get back into leucs and thought that was that. I even harvested some of the moss that was doing well in the old viv. So today, I go in to check on frogs, and I see two of my original leucs (I think that the male has died) looking back at me in that old vivarium! Well over six months since I stopped feeding them or even opening up the tank! I immediately pulled them out only to see that neither were emaciated, in fact, one was fat. I guess I have a good microfauna load in that tank.

So the moral of the story: completely tear apart a tank if you think your frogs are dead. Even after a few months of not seeing them. I guess I'm gonna have to go find a male for these two girls now...

·
Registered
189 Posts
This is soooooo true. I had the same experience with my male Cristobal a couple of weeks ago. I tore down the tank, even the moss and gave up. No door on the tank for 4 weeks until I moved last month. I decided to clean out the hydroton balls and guess who was hiding in the back? He was still healthy except for a slight discoloration, but he's back to normal now.

Never ever, ever, ever give up until your tank is gutted completely!!!

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
I`m telling you man, every time I take a vacation I just dump 100`s of extra springtails in my tanks. I always come home to fat healthy frogs.
You can`t beat leaf litter and microfauna.

John

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
So the moral of the story: completely tear apart a tank if you think your frogs are dead. Even after a few months of not seeing them. I guess I'm gonna have to go find a male for these two girls now...
I think the moral of the story is completely tear down the tank after completely giving up on them. If you half way give up on a frog and only tear down the tank half way the story can sometimes take a bad turn. Like being less careful about how long you leave a door open. It's happened... (with a happy ending. I found him right before he could crawl all the way under the bed).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts