Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I don鈥檛 have any particular questions about egg care, I just wanted to share with people who I knew would understand how absolutely gassed I am for my first clutch ever 馃槒馃槒馃槒

Any tips on variabilis egg and tadpole care then feel free to comment!

I am just very happy hahahah

Registered
Congratulations!

I also just started getting variabilis eggs this year, and have been averaging a clutch (3-5 eggs) every week or two. So, you may have (many) more clutches coming soon!

I transfer my eggs to petri dishes, with a little extra store-bought spring water to ensure they won't dry out. Then once the tadpoles have hatched (~2-3 weeks or so), I transfer them to individual cups filled with spring water. At one point, I briefly tried dechlorinated tap water for a couple tadpoles, but had disastrous results - it likely really depends on your area, though.

I initially fed mine fish food for awhile, which seemed to work fine. But I've switched to a commercial "dart frog tadpole food", which I think has a much better mix of nutrients. The pellets are a little big, though, so I change the water more frequently on the smaller tadpoles, before they're able to eat the full pellets.

At low 70s/ high 60s temps (basement in Kansas City, KS), mine take months and months to morph out (60+ days). I think this is typical, and I haven't wanted to mess with temperature at this point to try to speed it up or anything, since most of the froglets are pretty large and healthy (no idea the sex ratio yet, or if it's even influenced by temp). Even still, I would say total mortality from egg to froglet is as high as 20% or more (averaging one unfertilized egg per clutch, followed by some tadpoles that fail to thrive, and then just a few froglets that for whatever reason didn't make it; no spindle-leg issues at this point, thankfully).

You'll find much more information from people more knowledgeable than me on this forum, but hopefully this is a good starting point.

Good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations!

I also just started getting variabilis eggs this year, and have been averaging a clutch (3-5 eggs) every week or two. So, you may have (many) more clutches coming soon!

I transfer my eggs to petri dishes, with a little extra store-bought spring water to ensure they won't dry out. Then once the tadpoles have hatched (~2-3 weeks or so), I transfer them to individual cups filled with spring water. At one point, I briefly tried dechlorinated tap water for a couple tadpoles, but had disastrous results - it likely really depends on your area, though.

I initially fed mine fish food for awhile, which seemed to work fine. But I've switched to a commercial "dart frog tadpole food", which I think has a much better mix of nutrients. The pellets are a little big, though, so I change the water more frequently on the smaller tadpoles, before they're able to eat the full pellets.

At low 70s/ high 60s temps (basement in Kansas City, KS), mine take months and months to morph out (60+ days). I think this is typical, and I haven't wanted to mess with temperature at this point to try to speed it up or anything, since most of the froglets are pretty large and healthy (no idea the sex ratio yet, or if it's even influenced by temp). Even still, I would say total mortality from egg to froglet is as high as 20% or more (averaging one unfertilized egg per clutch, followed by some tadpoles that fail to thrive, and then just a few froglets that for whatever reason didn't make it; no spindle-leg issues at this point, thankfully).

You'll find much more information from people more knowledgeable than me on this forum, but hopefully this is a good starting point.

Good luck!
This is awesome thank you!! I鈥檓 glad you have a lot of success its very rewarding

1 - 3 of 3 Posts