Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is the most exiting day ever!!! I found a cluster of 7 eggs :). I'm not sure what to do now. When I took the petri dish out to see if there was anything in it seemed like mama got freaked a little. She hoped over to the area pretty fast. I did put the dish back in the same spot. Is there anything I need to do. I am really afraid to do something wrong. Any advise would be appreciated. I will post some pics soon.
thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oh I'm sorry....Nicaraguan auratus got them last year from Josh's Frogs. I read the egg care sheet....great info but i think i'll rather leave them in the viv, since this is my first time. In this case is there anything that I need to do? Or do i just leave them alone?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
nice one i got 2 tri-colours and was shocked to find a clutch of 15 tads which i have removed and no researching hard on the care needed but if that wasnt enough she has layed 16 more eggs today. :) good luck with them and wish ya success.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: I have a tad!!!!!

Here is an update. Since my first post I have found 4 clutches non of them made it :(. Then I found the fifth and decided to take them out. The clutch had 8 eggs few days later I was left with six. Today I checked and one tad has popped out of the egg but is not moving very much...is that a bad thing? I still have three eggs, one of them is wiggling like crazy i think he might be popping out soon. not sure about the others. I'll try to post some pics soon.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Those look good!! Keep us updated as I just had some eggs that have turned into tadpoles about the same age as yours.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tip because I really thought they were dead. I checked yesterday and still no movement. Do they need more water now since they are out of the egg? I hope they'll make it. I can't wait to get of work to check, you guys gave me hope...thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Tanya,

New tads need about 1/3" of water (enough to swim around in, but not enough to drown in). I feed my tadpoles algae powder (Spirulina), buyt newborns get a very tiny amount (so as to not foul the water).

Good luck with them, Richard.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes I made sure they were decomposing..... I'm pretty sure they were gone. But it seems that they do really good up until they are getting ready to turn in tads. The two that are left seem to be doing the same thing. Yesterday they were moving like crazy but today nothing. They look good but I am worried because they seem lifeless. They are facing up but sometimes they are belly up.
To answer the other question. The eggs are in a petri dish after I took them out of the Viv I placed the petri dish on a wet napkin in a 32 oz container. I've been misting the eggs daily and after i noticed allot of movement I added more water (Fiji). Just enough to cover the eggs. Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong. Here are some more pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
yep. those are ready to hatch and you have 2 choices...

1st; leave them to die. if they arent strong enough to make it out of the egg sack they are obviously of inferior genetics and therefore shouldnt be raised through metamorphosis anyway.

2nd: you CAN help them out of the egg sack and if it only takes a small amount of force it can be excused as simply simulating the male urinating on and stomping the eggs in an attempt to hatch them. you can spray water on the eggs to try and help the tads out. this is common and quite easy to do. you can also physically cut the tads out with a scalpel. this isnt suggested since as i noted in the 1st option they are likely to be inferior frogs which do not have the ability to remove themselves from the egg sack and therefore are not nearly as valuable to future breeding efforts since they are, again, of inferior genetics.

james

1 - 20 of 111 Posts