Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im a newb. I got two cultures when i ordered some plants from Bonnie about a month ago. One was white springs and the other was orange isos. Ive been worried ive been doing something wrong with the Isos cause i could never tell they were eating anything. I put some carrot pieces in (which turned out to be awesome because they dont mold, at all) but you dont see the results like you do with springtails (swarming on the food).

But Today! Today i saw some white things moving around, at first i thought they were springtails that had invaded the culture, but upon closer inspection they are baby isopods! I did also find a springtail, and if theres one there is probably more. Will this end up being a problem? I know that springs and isos feed on entirely different food sources, but will one out compete the other in some way? And if thats the case, whats the best way to go about separating the two?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
It won't be a huge deal but I prefer to keep them separately for maximum production. Set up a new sterile culture and simply start picking the isopods out. Keep running both cultures and as the babies start to grow, they will be easier to pick out. Eventually you'll end up with a culture of giant oranges and a culture of springtails!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have two seperate cultures now, i just saw a spring in my iso culture, and if you see one there's usually a bunch more.... I read on your posts that white springs have a tendency to end up in other cultures. Wasnt sure if there would be a competition issue.

Should i move my adult isos to a new culture now? or leave them in the first one to breed a bit more first and propagate the first one?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
There is going to be some competition but if you have a decent supply of isopods and not too many springtails, they don't usually get out of control. The isopods may even starve out the springs eventually. I usually wait maybe a month after seeing the first babies and then moving the adults out. The babies grow faster without the competition and the adults will breed faster without the little rugrats crawling all over the place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts