Dendroboard banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’m really new to this also so take what I say with a grain of salt... I have a P cubensis in my viv that seems to be very sensitive to watering. I recently changed the top of my exo to glass/screen (similar to yours but screen is in the back and an inch or so wider). Spraying daily (not even watering and trying not to spray the substrate around the plant) coupled with the reduced ventilation was enough for it to get raised bumps (edema?) on the leaves. This is with neherp v2 substrate and very little standing water in the drainage layer. My vote (again I’m new to this and causing my own fair share of problems for myself) goes to over watering....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Cryptanthus are terrestrial.

I suspect things are just too wet in there. More ventilation (you can open the doors a little for now), and until you put animals in there only water as the plants need it until you get the feel for how much to water.
I thought all Bromelias were epiphytic, but appearantly that's not the case. My apologies for the worng info

·
Registered
79 Posts
I also vote (without knowing your configuration) that there is too much water on your plants. At least seeing the cryptanthus. What is your misting cycle? (frequency, duration, etc.)
They like humidity, but they don't like being wet for a long time.

If the problem is water., as a tip, let the plants "get a little thirsty" to get to know and understand them. (not very thirsty).
It is much easier to recover a "thirsty" plant than a "drowned" one. 😉

P.D: sorry for my google english...

·
Registered
387 Posts
I could be wrong, but it looks like your substrate is almost 90% Long Fiber Sphagnum. If so, I'd replace the substrate ASAP as that much Sphag is just acting as a sponge. If you look at a lot of produced ABG mixes, you will see that they use milled Sphag as it breaks the material up into smaller sizes. This means you can still have water retention in the substrate, but you don't have a giant sponge.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I could be wrong, but it looks like your substrate is almost 90% Long Fiber Sphagnum. If so, I'd replace the substrate ASAP as that much Sphag is just acting as a sponge. If you look at a lot of produced ABG mixes, you will see that they use milled Sphag as it breaks the material up into smaller sizes. This means you can still have water retention in the substrate, but you don't have a giant sponge.
The first pic of me holding the dead plant has some sphagnum I was using to grow some clippings in the background. I am using NEHerp v1 substrate in the viv. The soil has been staying pretty dry, but I've noticed the leaf litter on top does retains some water.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Another update:
Took the advice that it might be too humid in my tank. I've been leaving the front door partially open, and even drilled a 2" hole in the glass top by the back.
Ordered some nerve plant to fill in the back of my vivarium. They were looking good for about a week, then I suddenly found them rotted out by the base like my previously dead plants (see pics)
Humidity has been around 80-90 range, so I'm not sure what's going on now. Substrate is a little moist, but its not damp.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Another update:
Took the advice that it might be too humid in my tank. I've been leaving the front door partially open, and even drilled a 2" hole in the glass top by the back.
Ordered some nerve plant to fill in the back of my vivarium. They were looking good for about a week, then I suddenly found them rotted out by the base like my previously dead plants (see pics)
Humidity has been around 80-90 range, so I'm not sure what's going on now. Substrate is a little moist, but its not damp.

Put it back in the soil, it'll likely re root itself:), that's been my experience at least

·
Registered
81 Posts
Try it! It hasn’t bad look anyway. It can re root as fishing guy says.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

21 - 29 of 29 Posts