Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been good at growing anything, but I feel like none of my new plants are taking to my new vivarium. Here is some peperomia cubensis I pulled out. It looks like the stem rotted from being too wet? But I'm not sure how that could happen. I'm only watering once, maybe twice on the background per day, and I'm using neherp v1 substrate. The soil is draining, but this has happened to a lot of my other plants.

Is there anything I'm missing on? Also, is this plant save able?

·
Super Moderator
2,682 Posts
Could you post a full viv pic, and pics of the other plants?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a pic of my viv.
I pulled out the other cubensis plants because the same thing happened to them.
The one I just pulled pictured earlier was planted to the right of the earth star plant, near the front right.

·
Super Moderator
2,682 Posts
All those look pretty decent -- so you had two cuttings of the same species not do well? It is probably the plant, not you. :)

If you try again with that species, perhaps rooting them outside the viv in an extra-high humidity area would work better -- some plants simply don't root as easily as others.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a tubberware container with sphagnum moss that I watered and covered with saran wrap that I tried to use for a grow out for some other smaller clippings I got. I had similar results in the plants I put in there. I have an extra 10g aquarium I think I'll use next time and make a plexiglass lid for.

Any advice for acclimating plants/making a grow out tank? I couldn't find a tread about talking about grow out plant tanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,682 Posts
I've generally had poor luck rooting most plants in plain sphagnum, though other people do it. I don't use a specific growout tank for plants, though I have built vivs that were only inhabited by plants for quite a while -- so I would set one up just like a viv in the relevant aspects -- adjustable ventilation and lighting, and I'd put a good mass of plants in there to help moderate humidity. Plants that I know I'm going to move at some point I put into a small pot that contains the same substrate, and I sink that pot into the substrate in the viv.

Speaking of humidity, is there good ventilation in your viv? The rotting stem could be due to poor ventilation -- plants need to breathe just like frogs do.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've generally had poor luck rooting most plants in plain sphagnum, though other people do it. I don't use a specific growout tank for plants, though I have built vivs that were only inhabited by plants for quite a while -- so I would set one up just like a viv in the relevant aspects -- adjustable ventilation and lighting, and I'd put a good mass of plants in there to help moderate humidity. Plants that I know I'm going to move at some point I put into a small pot that contains the same substrate, and I sink that pot into the substrate in the viv.

Speaking of humidity, is there good ventilation in your viv? The rotting stem could be due to poor ventilation -- plants need to breathe just like frogs do.
Is the spagnum not going to rot if you do that? Or would you introduce some springtales as well with the spagnum?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its glass top, except for a 2" mosquito screen strip across the front top. I don't have any fans set up but I was thinking I might to get some extra air flow.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ventilation is a really important thing. I’m talking about my experience. No enough ventilation is equal to rot mostly

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what do you think I should do to get more ventilation? Do you think I need to drill more holes in the top or do you think some fans will help?

·
Super Moderator
2,682 Posts
So what do you think I should do to get more ventilation? Do you think I need to drill more holes in the top or do you think some fans will help?
Putting the screen on the back of the top would be better -- people put it in the front to try to reduce condensation on the glass, but since plants don't grow on the front glass this isn't very useful to them. Putting the screen in the back allows fresh air to flow in from the front vent and then all along the background on its way out the top.

Additionally, you may simply need a larger screen area. I'm currently only covering 1/2 of my screen top area (I just place an acrylic panel over the screen), since ambient humidity here is still ~50%.

What other species have you had trouble rooting?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Putting the screen on the back of the top would be better -- people put it in the front to try to reduce condensation on the glass, but since plants don't grow on the front glass this isn't very useful to them. Putting the screen in the back allows fresh air to flow in from the front vent and then all along the background on its way out the top.

Additionally, you may simply need a larger screen area. I'm currently only covering 1/2 of my screen top area (I just place an acrylic panel over the screen), since ambient humidity here is still ~50%.

What other species have you had trouble rooting?
I agree, better increase the screen surface

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is what I have set up. The screen part is about 2 inches wide and I have it siliconed in place with the glass. Do I have to remove some of the the glass? I would really rather not tear up my vivarium at this point, but I will if that's what has to be done.

·
Super Moderator
2,682 Posts
Well, if the ventilation does need to be increased, that is what I'd do. But if you are only having issues with one species rooting it isn't clear that ventilation is the problem.

I like to have adjustable ventilation -- air needs change seasonally, and increase as the plants grow (since the mass of leaves holds a lot of water), and it is valuable to be able to experiment with small changes in airflow to troubleshoot problems and improve the overall environment in the viv.

If I were to remove the screen top of an Exo (I don't see the advantage to this personally, but many people do), I'd make the screen portion as large as I could ever possibly want it (this will depend largely on your ambient humidity) and figure out a way to choke it down (glass or plexi inserts work well, IME).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I'm at a loss here.
My earth star plant is dying. Its planted right underneath the vent and at the front so it should be getting the best ventilation if anything.
Is this a sign of my viv being completely messed up? I'm not sure if my other bromeliads are doing fine, but they were planted at the same time and look ok.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Did you planted it in the soil? How wet is your soil? These plants are epyphitic (probably wrong spelling sorry)

·
Super Moderator
2,682 Posts
These plants are epyphitic (probably wrong spelling sorry)
Cryptanthus are terrestrial.

I suspect things are just too wet in there. More ventilation (you can open the doors a little for now), and until you put animals in there only water as the plants need it until you get the feel for how much to water.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I'm thinking about cutting a 2-3" hole in the top by the back and maybe adding a fan to help dry off some of the plants after misting.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts