Just got a 1.2.0 group on the weekend...setting up a 40 hex tank for them :D

the male

Female #1

Female #2

and the plan for the hex tank [excuse the writing, i was doing it quickly...]

·
Registered
309 Posts
Love them! what a beautiful frog. Best of luck with them.
Logan

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, they are WC, but were QT'd for 6 months[in Canada] before i got them, and tested healthy...

i hope to eventually breed them [to stop the need for imports] as with other reeds as soon as i get more tanks...

couple questions:

do they need more ventilation/drier conditions than darts? [since they are found in savannahs]

do i need a Rainchamber to breed them?

these are my first non-dartfrog frogs, so i still have tons to learn..

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Very nice. But I would remove the covering on the screen. Hyperolius species like ventilation and bright light much more than New world hylids. I would also suggest adding a small heat bulb over part of the tank that they can bask under if they choose to.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice. But I would remove the covering on the screen. Hyperolius species like ventilation and bright light much more than New world hylids. I would also suggest adding a small heat bulb over part of the tank that they can bask under if they choose to.
so a full screen top? how hot should the "basking spot" be?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
so a full screen top? how hot should the "basking spot" be?
I'd go full screen, large water area and a small halogen/xenon puck light. In the wild it isn't uncommon to see them sitting on reeds in full sunlight in temps as high as 90 degrees. As I point of reference I keep a mixed group of about 20 reed frogs in an 18" by 18" exoterra with 2/3 water base and a 1/3 land area and emergent pothos through out the tanks. Temps have been know to reach the mid 90's in the tank with no ill effects(Although I wouldn't recommend exceeding the mid 80 ambient. A rain chamber isn't need as they will frequently breed right in the tank after a period of rising temps and heavy hand misting

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
20 in a 18X18? how many will "thrive" in a 40 hex? [roughly 21''lx19''wx30''h](i know bad question)

also does my plan look okay?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
20 in a 18X18? how many will "thrive" in a 40 hex? [roughly 21''lx19''wx30''h](i know bad question)

also does my plan look okay?
Tank looks great other than the solid top. Reeds aren't particularly territorial(But they are very loud and I wouldn't recommend keeping the tank near the bedroom) so you can easily get away with 20 or so if you can find healthy speciments. These are pretty robust little frogs but because they are inexpensive they come in poorly cared for.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks guys, they are WC, but were QT'd for 6 months[in Canada] before i got them, and tested healthy...

i hope to eventually breed them [to stop the need for imports] as with other reeds as soon as i get more tanks...

couple questions:

do they need more ventilation/drier conditions than darts? [since they are found in savannahs]

do i need a Rainchamber to breed them?

these are my first non-dartfrog frogs, so i still have tons to learn..
I've lost a lot of reeds in the past from keeping them swampy with too much humidity. You dodge a lot of bullets with the screen top, and a mild basking spot would be good too. Just noticed this thread, those are really, really nice reeds! JVK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts